Shakespeare in the Works | Teen Ink

Shakespeare in the Works

By Laniya BRONZE, Moline, Illinois
Laniya BRONZE, Moline, Illinois

Euthanasia is a doctor painlessly killing a patient suffering from an incurable or painful disease and also people with serious mental problems. Many people are against euthanasia and then there are people who aren't. In the United States Oregon was the first state to legalize assisted suicide. In 2013 approximately 230 people died from euthanasia (Euthanasia and assisted suicide laws around the world). Now this could be your child. Is it right? Would you do it? And would you label this as murder or helping a suffering patient, you choose.  

How does euthanasia effect the patient? One good thing euthanasia does for the patient is that it ends suffering. (Doctor Assisted Suicide Pros and Cons List) (Pros and Cons) Because of euthanasia people won't have to suffer anymore and it's not painful to die. Also it gives the patient control of how they end their life. They can choose who they are surrounded by or what they are doing right before they die.(Doctor Assisted Suicide Pros and Cons List) Another thing is that it lessens medical costs.  (Pros and Cons) (Doctor Assisted Suicide Pros and Cons List) Would you want to pay thousands and thousands of dollars of treatments for nothing?

Now what i'm about to tell you about is how euthanasia affects the patient's family. Grief is easier to handle.  (Doctor Assisted Suicide Pros and Cons List) When choosing euthanasia your family knows exactly when, where, and how the death occurs. Secondly without help of doctors your loved ones would have to sit there and watch you suffer. Another thing about doctors not helping you is that you can try to commit suicide on your own in very unsophisticated and traumatic ways (Physician Assisted Suicide) which could leave your family devastated.
It can also take a toll on doctors and medical associated things. If you are a doctor and you have a patient that wants to do the euthanasia treatment you could use the organs of that patient to save other people's lives. (Pros and Cons) Giving them a better chance live and you're dying knowing you saved someone's life.

There are all of these good things about euthanasia but there are also some bad things that can affect the patient too. The patient could take advantage of euthanasia and choose to die with non-critical situations (Pros and Cons). Additionally doctors can make the wrong prognoses and you want to die or kill yourself using euthanasia because of a disease wrongly given to you (8 Main Pros and Cons of Legalizing Physician Assisted Suicide).
The family of the patient: your loved ones could want to give up on recovery. (Pros and Cons) Without fighting you would quit on them and yourself. When you could've survived for a little while longer.

Doctors: When you're a doctor and you do a euthanasia treatment on a patient you violate the hippocratic oath. (10 Arguments for Legalizing Euthanasia) The hippocratic oath says that a doctor should take extreme measures and do everything they can do to help and keep a patient alive. This being said brings me back to doctors taking extreme measures. Government and Insurance may try to pressure doctors not to take heroic measures. One more important thing is that if you're a doctor and you do a euthanasia treatment on a patient their condition does not meet the criteria the doctor could be accused of murder.

“You matter because you are you. You matter to the last moment of your life, and we will do all we can, not only to help you die peacefully, but also live until you die.” Dame Saunders founder of Hospice once said. (Quotations on Euthanasia) I have just endowed you with information now you tell me whether euthanasia is right or wrong, and should it be  legalized?

Works Cited
"10 Arguments For Legalizing Euthanasia." Listverse. 21 June 2014. Web. 13 Feb. 2017.

"Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide Laws around the World." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 17 July 2014. Web. 13 Feb. 2017.

"Pros and Cons." Physician Assisted Suicide. Web. 17 Feb. 2017.

"8 Main Pros and Cons of Legalizing Physician Assisted Suicide." ConnectUS. 06 Aug.  2015. Web. 13 Feb. 2017.

"Doctor Assisted Suicide Pros and Cons List." NYLN. 09 July 2015. Web. 13 Feb. 2017.