Do You Know Your History? | Teen Ink

Do You Know Your History?

By Dawnette BRONZE, Enoch, Utah
Dawnette BRONZE, Enoch, Utah

The statement made by Roger K. Broxton, claiming that the Civil war was fought over taxes is inaccurate.  There are numerous accounts regarding the war, stating that it was fought to preserve the union, and later to free the slaves.  There are several faults in Mr. Broxton’s claims regarding the Civil war, including the real cause of the Civil war, black confederate soldiers getting pension from the southern states, and the claim that Fort Sumter was a ¨federal tax collection¨ fort.  The Civil war began when the southern states chose to create their own country in order to keep their slaves.  Abraham Lincoln, the newly elected president at the time, began the Civil war as an attempt to preserve the union.  Latter in the war, President Lincoln declared in his Emancipation Proclamation that all slaves in rebellious states would be set free; changing the whole makeup of the war.  This demonstrates that the real cause of the war was to preserve the Union and to free the slaves; not because of taxes.  The claim that there were black soldiers in the confederate army receiving pension for their service is also incorrect, it was illegal for any black men to serve in the south as soldiers.  Finally, the myth that Fort Sumter, the position of the first battle of the Civil war, was a federal tax collection fort is a distorted fact.  Fort Sumter was constructed for coastal defence, and had nothing to do with taxes at all.  Obviously Roger K. Broxton has been falsely informed in all three of these claims.

Roger K. Broxton´s claim that the cause of the Civil war was because of taxes is inaccurate.  The cause of the Civil war was an attempt made by President Lincoln to keep together the states of America.  ¨Initially, the Civil War between North and South was fought by the North to prevent the secession of the Southern states and preserve the Union¨ (Emancipation Proclamation para 1).  The statement made by Mr. Broxton stating, ¨I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so¨ (para 3).  This quote by President Lincoln has clearly been taken out of context, for this statement was made 1861, two years before the Emancipation Proclamation made in 1863.  Before the Emancipation Proclamation Abraham Lincoln was simply trying to keep together the union at whatever cost, proving that he was not talking about taxes, but trying to smooth the war.  Clearly, the Civil war was fought to preserve the union and free the slaves.

Another false claim made by Mr. Broxton is that black men served in the confederate army as soldiers, receiving pension for their service.  ¨There were no black Confederate combat units in service during the war and no documentation whatsoever exists for any black man being paid or pensioned as a Confederate soldier...¨ (Black Confederates para 5).  This proves that Rodger K. Broxton´s claim that there were colored soldiers is inaccurate.  The Confederacy made it illegal for any black men to serve as soldiers, but often forced them to toil behind the lines as cooks and laborers.  ¨Most of these were forced to accompany their masters or were forced to toil behind the lines¨ (Black Confederates para 5).  The black men that served there because they were held against their will, are still considered slaves.  This Illustrates that yet another of Roger K. Broxton´s claims were incorrect. 
Finally, the statement that Fort Sumter, the position of the first battle of the civil war, was a tax collection fort, is completely inaccurate.  “Fort Sumter had nothing to do with ‘tax collection.’ The fort had been constructed for coastal defense following the War of 1812” (McNamara para 15).  This illustrates that the fort could not possibly be a tax collection position, rebuting Roger K. Broxton’s claim entirely.  There is no evidence stating that Fort Sumter was used for tax collections.

In conclusion, Roger K. Broxton’s claim that the Civil war was started over taxes, as well as much of the ‘evidence’ he uses to support that statement is false.  The civil war was started in order to preserve the Union, and latter to free the slaves.  Abraham Lincoln states this during the Emancipation proclamation, a famous speech presented 1863 stating that all slaves in rebelling states would be freed.  Another of Mr. Broxton’s claims stating that there were black soldiers in the south receiving pension for their service is another incorrect claim.  Although there were black men being forced to toil behind the lines as laborers and cooks, none of them fought as soldiers nor collected any sort of payment.  Finally, the last claim stating that Fort Sumter was a tam collection fort is inaccurate.  The fort was constructed as a coastal defence base used for the South.  This illustrates that this claim also was misinformed.  In conclusion, it should now be clear what the Civil War was fought for, as well as the correct information to the false claims made by Roger K. Broxton.

The Civil war's objective has recently been challenged by Roger K. Broxton.  I am here to fix those myths.