Audition For Plays | Teen Ink

Audition For Plays

By Ash_718 BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
Ash_718 BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Auditions For Plays
        Have you ever wanted to audition for a play but didn’t know how?  To audition for a play you must overcome your strange feeling of stage fright, become your character for the audience and be able to handle rejection.
       Stage fright is surprisingly very common in actors and actresses, but there are some methods to overcome this feeling of dread and anxiety.  If you’re a tea person then drinking a delightful warm herbal tea will help settle your nerves.  Taking slow deep breaths will also help and lower your heart rate, so you will be able to focus on how to present yourself.  You may find yourself with extra time before auditions, go ahead and try some yoga poses to soothe your nerves, calm down and focus on your main part of the audition.
       Becoming your character is very important in the acting world, because it helps the audience feel like they’re part of the world you are creating.  Facial expressions are the key to bringing your character to life.  Voice projection will help you nail your audition by raising or whispering your voice when appropriate.  Make your director see how comfortable you are on stage with soft gestures when needed throughout the audition.  If it is aloud when you audition, consider dressing your part, this will help the director imagine you for the specific part you want.
        Rejection is a big part of auditions.  You may want to have a supportive friend to help console you if you don’t get your part.  A hot bath will help sooth all the doubts you may have regarding your talent, as well as time to reflect.  Focus on getting better and acknowledge any mistakes you may have recognized during your try out.  Remember the good in any situation, don’t ever look at yourself as a failure, and take this rejection as a way to get better.

When you go to an audition, there are many concepts that can help you nail the part. When you have stage fright, it's important to find good methods to overcome it. For example, meditation and drinking a herbal tea. Just remember to become your character, do it from the heart. Failure happens to the best of us, remember you are only getting better with this rejection. Imagine you’re on a starlit stage and it's pitch black with only one spotlight on you. Now go kill it on stage!