My Opinion on the Bill of Rights | Teen Ink

My Opinion on the Bill of Rights

By JacobBaker GOLD, Sacramento, California
JacobBaker GOLD, Sacramento, California

If your good at something,never do it for free --- The Joker

What are the most important amendments in The Bill Of Rights? Some people say different things. I personally think that the first, fourth, and fifth are the most important. And I’m gonna tell you why.

I think the first is one of the most important because the First Amendment is free expression, which is basically just an absolute necessity for personal liberty. If you don't have this, the concept of personal liberty is a joke. Furthermore, the First Amendment states “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”. So it is an important amendment.

Another important amendment is the Fourth Amendment. The Fourth Amendment is important because the Fourth Amendment, by prohibiting search and seizure without probable cause, acknowledges that everyone basically has a right to do what they want on their own property. That you can break a few laws, cut a few corners, and as long as you aren't making a negative impact on the lives of others, that lifestyle will be tolerated. It gives you a certain amount of deference in your own home. The Bill Of Rights states “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

And finally, the Fifth Amendment. The Fifth Amendment is important because the Fifth Amendment is the most powerful tool we have in protecting us from our own government. The Fifth Amendment says that if we're doing something our government doesn't like, there are a dozen procedural hurdles they have to clear before they can do anything about it. Without the Fifth Amendment, our police would basically be cleared to do anything they wanted. They could deal with pot smokers simply by putting a bullet in their heads. I'm sorry for my blunt way of putting it but it's true. The Bill Of Rights says “No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”

So i have given you my opinion on the matter, but please, don't take my word for it. Study, make your own opinions and learn something new.