The Original Football | Teen Ink

The Original Football

By NehemiahA BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
NehemiahA BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

The Origins of Football

The most popular sport in the world is football. This sport has been around for nearly 4,500 years. Many people play the game but do not know the origin of the sport which is otherwise known as soccer. Many countries such as: Rome, Egypt, and China claim to have come up with the game. Who do think created this world known sport?(“Who Invented Football | Soccer History, Year & Country of Origin, Start”).

The Game known in Rome
In Rome the game was simple with no rules to follow. The teams each had 27 players and the point was just to get the ball in the opposing team's goal. There was another similar game where the boys would kick the ball around on the ground to each other. The first one even made it to the early Olympic games once. These games were somewhat like the modern game.(“Who Invented Football | Soccer History, Year & Country of Origin, Start”).

Football in China
China was enjoying their game of football at the same time as Rome. Their game was  more like the modern day game of soccer as far as rules go. Just like the modern game they could use any part of their body except their hands and they had referees. Their game was called cuju basically meaning using your feet to kick the ball. They scored by kicking the ball between two sticks. The game became so popular that there were tournaments throughout the towns, many of them hosted by the royal court. The fame of the game started to go down  years later but it can still be played since the people wrote down how to play it.(“Who Invented Football | Soccer History, Year & Country of Origin, Start”).

Football in Egypt
Egypt was first to play the game of football and competition was not the key point. They kicked around balls to celebrate the Earth. They also played the games at “feast of fertility”. The balls were made of linen and covered with animal skin so it could bounce better. The game was not very developed, they often just kicked the ball around. This was the starting point for modern day soccer, even though their game wasn't the most evolved. (“Who Invented Football | Soccer History, Year & Country of Origin, Start”).                                                                                                                                            

In conclusion football is a wonderful world known sport. Thanks to the three countries, Rome, China, and Egypt, the wonderful creation of the original football was made. The modern football was built off of these principles with a few more rules. Now the game is the world's most popular sport. Do you love the original football?

“Who Invented Football | Soccer History, Year & Country of Origin, Start.” N.p., 19 June 2014. Web. 21 Sept. 2016.