Inventor of Sports | Teen Ink

Inventor of Sports

Buzz! The buzzer went off, and declared the Cavaliers the 2016 NBA Champions! And the Denver Broncos win the NFL Super Bowl against the North Carolina Panthers  as the score leaves as 24 to 10!  Since basketball and football are very popular sports, have you ever thought who created these sports? Yeah me too. With the not-so-good materials used back then to make the perfect shape of the main object(s) and the better materials to have the sports more better and popular.If you want more information about it, then keep reading, and let me tell you information you might not know.

How basketball was born

I’ve wondered how many people that created popular sports in the eighteenth and nineteenth century created the main equipment and what did they make it out of for basketball. James Naismith created basketball in December in 1891. The first game of basketball was played on December 21 1891.”On December 21, 1891, James Naismith published rules for a new game using five basic ideas and thirteen rules. That day, he asked his class to play a match in the Armory Street court: 9 versus 9, using a soccer ball and two peach baskets.” All they were missing was just a name for it. “However, Naismith was the inventor of the new game. Someone proposed to call it "Naismith Game", but he suggested "We have a ball and a basket: why don’t we call it basketball?” The basketball was and still is made of rubber bladder, which is wrapped in fiber, and covered by leather for the surface to make the ball bounce higher. And on that day, basketball was born!

When football became popular

Walter Camp is known as the “Father of American Football”. He than spread the word in his school ann convinced his school to let him have the new game football for his college Yale.  On November 6, 1869, Princeton and Rutgers held a contest for football and were the first colleges to play college football. Then Everyone heard the word about football and doing it their way. The football have and still been made of pigs and wrapped around in leather. Since camp invented football, the word about it has gone all around the world, with people creating more equipment to use, better rules, better safety equipment and more items for the games to be more popular.

How soccer grew worldwide

Charles Goodyear was the man who invented soccer. He first got the idea because of football relates to soccer a little bit. The soccer ball was made of multiple layers of lining of polyester or cotton was made to help the ball bounce more. The inside is made of bladder which hold the air. The bladders are made of latex rubber butyl. They used a net that would be strung between two poles hanging about thirty feet from the ground on an large area of grass. Charles then shared the soccer game with people by teaching them how the game works. With years and years of soccer going one, many people have been coming up with ways to make soccer a better sport, which made it go worldwide!

Who’s next?
In conclusion, the fans of all sports give thanks to their founding fathers that created which is now very popular sports with great people to make the sports even better equipment, and the people that are playing are known as role models for younger people. Since there’s people that look up to the pro players, what’s next for them? Are they going to be their role model in the future? Will they better then their role model, not as good, or just as good? But the main question is… what sport will you invent in the future?