Macomb Tribune: "To Kill a Mockingbird" | Teen Ink

Macomb Tribune: "To Kill a Mockingbird"

By onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other
onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other

B.B. Underwood's Editorial.

As many of you already know, Tom Robinson was accused of raping Mayella Ewell. This case went to trial. In the court, Mayella said she was on the porch when Tom Robinson came by. She asked him to chop up an old piece of furniture for kindling, and when she went inside to get a nickel to pay him, he attacked her from behind. She argued that Tom beat her, took advantage of her, and then ran away. However, her testimony was a little different from her father’s testimony and Tom’s. Bob Ewell, Mayella’s father, said he saw Tom raping Mayella from the window, which is different from Mayella’s testimony. Also, Tom argued that she never paid him and she kissed and hugged him. He also proved that he had a crippled left hand, making it hard to assume that he beat her and made her right eye black. It was odd that it took such a long time to decide if Tom was guilty, but Tom was accused of raping Mayella.
Tom was sent to Enfield Prison Farm, which was about 70 miles away. Tom believed that there was absolute no way to win the trial, so he escaped through the fence. However, Tom died as the guard shot him seventeen times. I believe that it’s just a sin to kill cripples, be they standing, sitting, or escaping. Tom’s death was like the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children.  The fact that Tom was innocent was corroborated with much evidence, but our community and society of Maycomb killed him for our habitat and entertainment. Mayella had no friends and only had vague interaction with other people. No one wanted to talk to Mayella and help her. However, Tom Robinson was willing to talk to lonely and sad Mayella, who needed to take care of her siblings because her mother had died. Tom helped Mayella with things that she needed help with without charging her. Despite Tom’s kindness, Mayella hugged and kissed him and accused him. She made up a false story to prove that Tom raped her. Mayella Ewell should be ashamed and feel guilty about convicting innocent Tom. Atticus, Tom’s defender used every tool available to free men to save Tom Robinson, but in the secret courts of men’s hearts Atticus had no case. We also knew that Tom was right, but we just said he was guilty just because he’s black. Tom was a dead man the minute Mayella Ewell opened her mouth and screamed. All  humans were created beautiful and equally. But, now we are persecuting black people just because of their skin color. In my opinion, killing a fox that eats all of your sheep is not a sin. However, it is a sin to kill a roly-poly or a mocking bird  like Tom as it doesn't harm nor bother you.  I truly believe that the white citizens of Maycomb should be blamed and feel guilty for Tom’s innocence death.