Life without trees | Teen Ink

Life without trees

By Isaac Brown BRONZE, San Diego, California
Isaac Brown BRONZE, San Diego, California

Forests. They give life to the earth. They create a healthy environment for all of the creatures that live on this planet, including humans. It is a home for many wild species, which also give us life. Trees are a reason why we are breathing. What would the world be like if every single one of the trees on this planet were gone. Here’s the answer: the whole world will be doomed.

Deforestation occurs very quickly. Most deforestation is caused by human activity. As some people tell others about deforestation, many others don’t listen and cut down trees anyway. There are also some people who cut down trees illegally in national parks and reserved areas. People are impatient and push the limits too far.
     Another cause of deforestation is wildfires. Many wildfires occur naturally. Some of them occur in the right place and are healthy some certain trees, such as Giant Sequoias in the Sierra Nevada. However, some wildfire can occur in the wrong place at the wrong time. Other wildfires are sometimes caused by human activity. One little cigarette dropped on the ground on a  hot and windy day can result badly.

These causes of deforestation have a bad effect on wildlife and their environment. Many animals need a lot of space for them to have homes. Trees are part of the foundation of creating a healthy ecosystem for wildlife. Nowadays, many species have been reduced in numbers over the years from the result of deforestation. In the past years, the numbers of wild tigers in asia have been reducing terribly. It is said that there are only 3,200 wild tigers left in all of asia. This is a major crisis in the world, because the tiger is one of asia’s top predators. Without tigers in the wild, the ecosystem will be very unbalanced. In the past fifty years, 17% of the amazon rainforest has been cut down. Forests however are not just homes for wildlife, they are also a structure of life.
           Trees play a big role in water cycles by absorbing the water vapor in the atmosphere. Cutting them down results in a decrease of precipitation and water flow. Soil erosion is another problem. When some people cut down trees, the remaining soil underneath erodes, and when more trees are cut down, the erosion keeps spreading. The soil erosion can eventually reach rivers. This reduces the amount of water in the river, which can be a crisis to many communities around the world.
       Forest help prevent greenhouse gas emissions become less severe. With the reduction of trees, there has been a rise in the amount of greenhouse gas emissions. The rise of greenhouse gas emissions results in a change of temperature, which results in a change of climate. The result of a change in climate can be unhealthy and dangerously lethal to the world’s environments.

Deforestation is a major crisis in the world right now, but it can be prevented in many ways. Several communities are working together to create more protected areas. This way more wildlife species will be protected, as well as their homes. Some others are also working to stop illegal logging. The US and other countries are trying harder to make laws and policies. The more serious the laws are, not only in the U.S. but all over the world, the more likely trees will be saved. What can you do to stop deforestation?