Depression and Suicide | Teen Ink

Depression and Suicide

By Lily_Kolesa GOLD, Troy, Illinois
Lily_Kolesa GOLD, Troy, Illinois

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go." - Dr. Seuss

Depression. It’s different than sadness. Sadness eventually goes away, depression on the other hand, that sticks with you. Depression can also lead to more serious things, like suicide. These issues cannot be ignored. Leena Palande said in an article she wrote in 2010, “Living under unnatural time pressures or living with financial problems, emotional insecurity, results in a number of psychological, social and physical ailments. Peer pressure, lack of interpersonal relations in families, abuse or neglect, parents divorces, loss of a close person, break-up of a romantic relationship through teen dating, learning difficulties, teen obesity, chronic illnesses, are some of the main causes of teenage depression”. How can you tell if someone is depressed though?

There are many ways to realize if someone is depressed, and there are noticeable symptoms. Things like a sad mood, or increased irritability, along with sudden outbursts of crying and shouting are a few symptoms. More include loss of appetite, losing interest in favorite activities, always tired, feeling guilty for no reason, loss in social interactions, thoughts of death or suicide, drug and alcohol abuse, and even feeling sick constantly are all symptoms of depression. Now these symptoms can vary from teen to teen, and some cases of depression can be caused due to family history, and the family background.

You can’t really prevent depression, but there are ways you can help someone who has depression. Understand though, that depression doesn’t just disappear. Talking about the problem and offering support can go a long way though. The first step is to be understanding. Don’t push the person with depression too far. Sometimes pushing them too much to try to solve the problem can make things worse, and again lead to more serious things like suicide. Be calm and gentle when talking to this person as well, if you’re demanding you may make them feel like they can’t open up to you. Another thing you can do, is just listen to them. If they need to vent about something just listen, don’t lecture them about it. Just listening to them can always help somewhat. No matter what though, if someone has depression at all, it’s best that they talk to a counselor.

Talking to a counselor is a good idea, as they are understanding and give advice on what you can do. Talking to a counselor is a good way to lessen the amount of depression, and medication can decrease that amount too. But, there are always side effects with medication, and shouldn’t be relied on heavily.

Depression can easily lead to suicide, which again should not be ignored what-so ever. Teens who are depressed are more likely to try to commit suicide, and symptoms should be noticed if you suspect someone with suicidal thoughts. These symptoms include talking about suicide, or making jokes about suicide, saying things such as, “I’d be better off dead” or, ”There’s no way out” , writing stories about death or suicide, giving away prized possessions, saying goodbye to friends and family as if they’re never to see them again, and seeking weapons and violence.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death according to the 2010 CDC WISQARS, in people ages 10 to 24. Each day in our nation there is an average of over 5,400 attempts by young people grades 7-12.

Most of the time, a suicidal teen gives hints of their plans. Studies show that 4 out of 5 teens gave clear warnings before they committed or have attempted. If you suspect that they are going to attempt suicide don’t turn your back. Again, just talking to them, you may be able to calm them a bit.

If you, or anyone you know is suicidal, please call 1-800-273-8255, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
Thank you.

I hope people realize how serious suicide is from reading this. I've almost lost friends to suicide and it's time we all take action to help those who are having suicidal thoughts.