Solvable

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough (Mae West).” When Mae West says this it means that if you don’t live your life with passion, conviction, and meaning, then you aren't living your life right and once won’t be enough time. James Renner is living his life right, he has purpose and he is hoping one life will be long enough to accomplish his goal; to find Amy’s killer. In the book, Amy; my search for her killer, Renner talks about his experience following Amy’s life, and death . He questioned suspects, Amy’s family, and talked to police officers, in his desperate search for her murderer. This search started when he was a young boy and is still searching now. Renner shows courage by dedicating his life to the search for Amy’s killer, he also risks his career by trying to write about Amy’s story, and finally he doesn't forget about the past like so many people have.

Renner has dedicated his life in search for Amy's killer. He was only in elementary school when he started following her case. Renner would come home from school and turn on the news for any new information on her case. After college, Renner, still searching for Amy’s killer, wrote for Scene magazine. He still is, and will continue to search for the person who has taken Amy’s young life. Finally, in the back of his book he puts his email address, home address, and phone number to give people a place to contact him with any new information regarding the case. Along with his contact information Renner says four small words, “ this case is solvable,” and he still believes that it is.

As Renner graduated from college he risked his future career by trying to write about Amy's story. Scene magazine was taking a chance on him and gave him a spot to write in the magazine, so Renner's first idea was to write about Amy. When he pitched the idea it was considered old news, and they said, " I mean, has anything new happened in 16 years? I don't think there would be much interest in this." (Renner 25). Although he had numerous setbacks such as this he pushed through and wrote about Amy. Another time his career and future is at risk is when Renner is getting information on the case he almost gets arrested. Being knee deep in a police investigation and case, he risked his safety and being arrested. Even when the obstacles he faced were not hurdles but mountains that towered above him he didn’t give up, he ignored the risks.

Along with not giving up Renner didn't give up or forget the past, when most of the community did. Amy’s story was considered old news and with that people let the details of the story be forgotten. People mostly forgot because the case seemed unsolvable. It had been many years since the murder and the was no new information for years. No firm suspects. No trail. And after reading the book I decided to do some of my own research; I asked some people I knew what they remembered about Amy’s case. Most of them said, “ Who’s Amy?” In a community full of lost memories, Renner held on to his tightly. He never forgot and he still hasn’t.

Renner shows courage by dedicating his life to the search for Amy’s killer, he also risks his career by trying to write about Amy’s story, and finally he doesn’t forget about the past like so many people have. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough (Mae West).” Renner’s life literally could not be more like these wise words spoken by Mae West, he has shown courage, conviction, perseverance, and the one lifetime he has to live is being lived right. Amy; my search for her killer, describes Renner’s courageous search for Amy’s killer. He dug for answers by interviewing the suspects, Amy’s family, and talked to police officers, in his desperate search for her murderer. With many obstacles placed in his path he kept going on. On for Amy.

Cited Work:
Renner, James. Amy, My Search For Her Killer. Cleveland: Gray & Company, 2006. Print.