Three Articles | Teen Ink

Three Articles

By ThePunisher69 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ThePunisher69 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

BOIIIIIIIIIIIII

As I was reading the three articles, I could relate to what they were saying. Some articles I was saying in my head, “Wow, this has happened to me before,” or “Yeah, this is totally true.” And some I was thinking, “This makes absolutely zero sense.” Overall, I related to more articles than I did not relate.
I related the most to the article How to Write. Rule number one said “Show and Tell” not just “Show, don’t Tell.” I believe this is true because if you just show the reader, there could be some cloudy spots on what is actually happening or being said. If the writer shows and tells I feel that the writer is clearing up anything that is misunderstood by the reader and might possible add something that the reader has missed or didn’t know about.

Rule number two is my favorite rule. It states, “Don’t go searching for a subject, let your subject find you.” This rule is 100% true in my book. For example, when I was a freshman, I was assigned to write a three to five page research paper. I thought there was no way I was going to write at least three pages. I chose a topic and I was stuck. I didn’t know where to start. I did my research on the topic and it sort of captured me into it. It was like the subject found me, just like rule number 2. I began my paper and I had so many stories and details that supported research. By the end of the paper, I had written 5 pages. I was in a grove and I couldn’t stop all because the subject lured me in.

The next rule from the article that I correlated to was rule number ten. The rule states “Revise, revise, revise.” This rule applies to every writer in my opinion. Revising is basically what you should’ve done the first time but through trial and error. The more and more revising the writer does, the better and better the paper will be.

The fourth and final rule that defined me as a writer is rule number eleven, “There are no rules.” If every writer wrote based on a certain set of rules, literature and possibly the earth would be boring and lame. That’s why every composer should write like there aren’t any guidelines. It gives the world, and literature, itself its originality. Also, this rule allows writers to write in their own unique way.

In the third article, it says, “In order to pass along the knowledge of how to succeed, first you must know how to fail.” This to me is true not only about writing but about life in general. If you were to succeed at everything you did, where would the fun be? Everything would be boring and easy. You don’t get the same satisfaction you do if you were to fail, correct your mistake, and then succeed. This is similar to the revision rule. At first, your paper is going to “fail” or not be the best it can be. Next, you’re going to have to “correct your mistakes” or revise the paper. Finally, your paper is going to succeed. Through the revisions your paper will be an original, high quality, work of art.