Growing Spaces

Separation: an intervening space. A space that gets bigger and bigger and after it gets so big, it’s just that hard to close back up again. It’s the space between a husband and wife, between a father and daughter. I never thought that the spaces between my family would ever grow to be so big, but I guess I was wrong.

As I entered high school, I started seeing things through a different perspective. My relationship with my dad was one of them. Throughout the years, my dad and I had always had our problems, but as I started to grow up they just started to get worse. I was no longer his “little girl” and it was hard for him to accept that. Just like any other teenage girl, my dad embarrassed me. I didn’t want to have anything to do with him and our arguments that used to lead to “Go to your room!” progressed to swearing back and forth to each other. It has gotten so bad now that we don’t even speak a word to each other without it leading into a confrontation.

As I sit here and think about my future, I realized that I will need my dad a lot more than I do now and if I keep arguing with him who knows if he’ll be here for me or not. I need to start closing the space between us before it grows bigger than it already is.