Fear in Education | Teen Ink

Fear in Education

June 18, 2013
By Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
132 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
I know nothing, but of miracles.


How can you fill a cup if it is too hesitant to acknowledge that it’s only half-full? In today’s system of U.S. education, contemporary students find themselves timorous to recognize gaps and errors in their pedant knowledge. As this country frequently delineates, America is a highly competitive region, striving to enhance itself academically, elevate to higher standing positions, or in desperate situations, usurp others’ powers; this discordant energy causes general social pressure. Also, psychology provides a present factor on education, as humanity is hampered by phobias or functions, such as social anxiety disorder.

As illustrated in the paragon edifice of education, both teachers and students diligently strive for academic success, often aspiring for the literal and metaphorical “A.” As a result, the “average” learners whose grades are not among the predominant percentile may feel ignominy to those who do achieve top marks, and may develop inferiority complexes as expected. Unfortunately, a majority of these juveniles may suffer from these situations, transforming into taciturn recluses, who in their silence may be typecast as aloof, and be ignored for the misconception of antipathy. Furthermore, when served with these differences, students face themselves in educational castes, with these disparities augmenting, as the “smart” become “smarter” and those who do not achieve as easily or as quickly “dumber,” or at least more ignorant.

Furthermore, the very members who are supposed to learn from it also inflict the pressure that obstructs the education system. Often, students can be self-destructive, reproving themselves and becoming their own deleterious adversaries. For instance, there is a physiological aspect known as social anxiety disorder in which the bearing partisan demonstrates a lofty dread or fear within other congregations, i.e. school. Such students may emulate intense self-consciousness, wary of themselves as not to present mistakes in trepidation of embarrassment or rejection. Similarly, such adolescents may become vulnerable to the intense pressures of their environment, sometimes in extreme situations experiencing palpitations or panic attacks.

Hence, the pressure within the educational system may provide encumbrances to the acquisition of knowledge. Consequently, in the myriad race for intelligence and academic caliber, those who are not the most exemplary may be left unattended beneath the attention of their valedictorians. Those students and others may also suffer from severe agitation that result from gravity of acquiring top grades may deprecate themselves physically and mentally. Therefore, while didactic discipline must be enforced, a wider variety of student may thrive under more tranquil and attentive conditions.


The author's comments:
An SAT practice essay