Probots | Teen Ink

Probots

By Finnley MacKillop BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Finnley MacKillop BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Finnley MacKillop
7th Hour Language Arts
Miss Cusumano
PROBOTS
From 2006-2011, robot demand increased in the USA by 12.4% This change is destined to grow, and has many worried about jobs and safety, but with safety restrictions, robots can help benefit us and make the nation become more efficient with safe factories and just as many jobs.
Basically, with safety restrictions, robots can help benefit us and make the nation become more efficient with safe factories and just as many jobs.
A new project started by Soft Robotics is working on developing a robot that will make robots applicable to household use and safer factory use. This simple technological wonder can be used to work anywhere else too. These robots are made of a material similar to that of a credit card, so they can be used effectively and safely in factories, minimizing, or even eliminating the number of robot-related amputations and deaths.
Of course, although it is a great one, these “squishy robots” may not be as effective as we hope, seeing that they are a new technology. So a policy that other factories have already adopted is that of closing off robots from the humans. I think that this is a great solution, but even better would be to allow them to mingle, but clearly mark out the pre-programmed paths that the robots would follow.
This may sound nice to you, but the fact is that robots inevitably steal jobs from humans. However, people think that although these super powerful, ultra-precise creations steal jobs in welding, disassembling, painting, assembling, and much more. Unfortunately, people seem to forget is that jobs are being created by robotics, which is proved by Henrik Christensen, KUKA Chair of Robotics for Georgia Tech’s College of Computing, who says “for every job we take back, we create 1.3 in associated areas”.
Additionally, even more jobs can be created in programing and overseeing these robots, along with manufacturing them. I think that this would make the adults of our world gain, and continue to hold on to a reality of technological competence.
So. The future only holds more growth. This change for the better is inevitable, and it’s time to start becoming more technologically inept, and it’s time to change our ways and become smart.