unit activity | Teen Ink

unit activity

March 4, 2013
By Anonymous

“You see, you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too--even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” This is one of Mitch Alboms famous quotes, it explains how we as people must be able to trust; we must trust even when we would usually think we cannot trust at all.

Mitch trusts Morries advice with his life, even when he thinks that he cannot trust even himself. He, just like I has somebody that he can go to for anything, someone who he trusts to tell him the god hard truth about anything, even if Mitch may not like it. “The truth is . . . once you learn how to die, you learn how to live. “(Morrie Schwartz) I believe that this quote is the hardest truths of them all. It’s also one of the most true. Once you become content with the fate that is death, you can be fully open and ready to live your life to the fullest extent.

Each Tuesday, he learns from Morrie, that he needs to reassess his life, and to value love over money, and happiness over success. I slightly have the same issue, for a long time I thought that having money would make life easier and sometimes better. But just like Mitch I have learned that only being happy with yourself will bring you true happiness. On the twelth Tuseday Mitch and Morrie talk about forgiveness. Morrie admits his regret for past bouts of pride and vanity. He tells a story about a former friend that years back he had gotten in a tif with and how the man had seen him and tried to appolgise but morrie did not accept, shortly after that, the man passed away from cancer. Morrie stresses that is is vital to forgive oneself, just as it is vital to forgive others.

Morrie’s third truseday with Mitch is a lesson on how the culture doesn't encourage people to think about death and regrets until they are nearing their dying day. While they are living, he says, they are concerned about egotistical things, but they should constantly stand back and assess their life to determine what is there and what is missing from it. Morrie mentions that often, people need others to push them in this particular direction. I agree with this lesson more now then I have in the past. Todays generation only looks at what we don’t have compared to what we do have. We focus too much on what we haven’t done or haven’t said until its too late. I never quite understood what he ment until one day I listned to everyboy that I cared about talk and complain about what they haven’t done or things they haven’t gotten yet. Very few gave thanks to what they did have and where they have been.

There are many other examples that show how Mitch and I are alike;but I will end it with the simple fact that Mitch is learning from Morrie just as I amd learning from my self and my close friend and boyfriend Zak. I guess that you could say Zak is my morrie, not dieing, but just as wise. I put my trust in him to help me with anything that comes up in my life just the same as Mitch does to Morrie.