The Next Five Years | Teen Ink

The Next Five Years

By Jordie22 BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
Jordie22 BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado

I’ve always been intrigued to try a lot of extracurricular activities. I’ve done green team, choir, leadership, book club, girl scouts, soccer, basketball, softball, track, swim team, jazz band, band, and Tri-M. That was just what would fit into my schedule, if there was more time I probably would have done more. I obviously can’t fit this all in and I didn’t love all of them. I’ve started to figure out which activities I really want to pursue. Now I’m preparing for high school and my schedule is getting tighter. So my goal is to have a blast, do the activities that I’m passionate about, while still getting good grades.

You only get to go to high school once. Next year I will be starting a new journey through high school and I know it will fly by. Right from the beginning I am going to try to learn how all of my teachers run their classroom. Make sure that I am familiar with they’re grading system and how they assign work. I will also try to get to know my teachers right from the beginning so that if I ever need any help than I can come to them. This will help start paving my road to a successful and fun high school experience.

Within the first few weeks I’ll also have to decide how many extracurricular activities I can fit onto my plate while still being able to sleep. That is a priority. I’ve tried a lot by now and I’ve decided that I enjoyed most of them, but I didn’t feel passionately about all of them. I know that once I get into high school I will just be bombarded with different clubs and activities to join. My plan is to go for quality and passion over quantity when it comes to extracurricular activities.

I am going to try to avoid spreading myself too thin, with also having time for a social life. This will be an important factor in my decision making process. On the weekends I don’t want to have to spend all of my time working and stressing over stuff that is school related. I don’t want to be locked inside being miserable while I see on Facebook that everyone else is having a great time. I will get to see my friends and have fun, even if that means I will have to sacrifice an activity. High school ISN’T all about getting perfect grades; it is also about the experiences you will get to tell your kids.

I’m hoping that with this plan in order it will help me reach my goal. No matter how hard I try though, no matter how hard I plan, I can’t predict or be in control of my entire high school experience. I will just have to play it by ear and hope that I am staying at least close to the right path.