Condescendents of Maycomb | Teen Ink

Condescendents of Maycomb

December 7, 2012
By kirsten9 GOLD, Washington Courthouse, Ohio
kirsten9 GOLD, Washington Courthouse, Ohio
14 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
Go for the gold!


If I ask you to contemplate the idea of prejudice, what would flood your thoughts? Racism, blacks vs. whites, cotton fields, that kind of thing right? Harper Lee’s novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, not only contains racial injustice, but a variation of types of prejudice. Sexism, ostracism, and racism are all factors of exploration in Lee’s novel.

“I could not possibly hope to be a lady if I wore breeches; when I said I could do nothing in a dress, she said I wasn’t supposed to be doing things that require pants” (Lee 81). Scout’s aunt, Alexandra, was constantly applying pressure on Scout. She needed to obtain a prestigious manner, and sport anything but those god awful over-alls! On page 47 Jem, Scout’s brother, stated, “I declare to the Lord you’re getting’ more like a girl every day!” This quote embodies Jem’s thoughts towards the unworthiness of being a girl. People would not allow Scout to function as she pleased; she was restricted in the ways of feeling comfortable, having fun, and being a kid. Scout was improperly summoned into behaving like a typical lady- dainty, unworthy, and underprivileged.

A tremendous amount of horrid racism had swallowed Maycomb County, and Scout had no choice but to bear witness to it. “I seen that black n***** yonder ruttin’ on my Mayella” (Lee 257). These are the accusing words of Bob Ewell as he claimed witness in the court room. He executed such vulgar emotion the crowd went wild for his declarations. Mr. Ewell not only didn’t use Tom Robinson’s name, he didn’t even feel the necessity to use a pronoun. He emphasized Tom’s being by his race. As if Tom’s color was a more defining characteristic than his legal name. My heart shattered when I realized the entire society of Maycomb would rather rely on a trashy, alcoholic white man’s failed attempt of an excuse than a trustworthy, hardworking black man’s. They couldn’t possibly consider that it wasn’t the black man’s fault. The racism in this town had been seen through the eyes of Jean Louise Finch- but she knew better than to accept it.

Ostracism had been cast upon Atticus Finch the day he agreed to defend Tom Robinson. Scout’s cousin, Francis, as well as her pupils came to calling Atticus a ni**er lover. They isolated Scout because her father was no longer a part of civil society. Defending a black man and not supporting a white man caused the folks Atticus grew up with to turn on him. The gang that gathered outside the Maycomb jail had a determination to murder Tom Robinson. They completely disregarded the respect they once had for Atticus. The pure hatred was extremely evident as Bob Ewell spit in the face of Atticus, even though he was the fool. In summation, the populace of Maycomb cast out the defending attorney of the Ewell trial- Atticus finch; they felt prejudice toward a virtuous man, a supporter of all races.

Sexism, racism, and exclusion were all keys to the violations of discrimination expressed in the novel. Maycomb contributed multiple events to support their need to be dominant, and the execution was thorough. I wonder if there are any mockingbirds left in Maycomb, Alabama; because it seems to me they’ve all been shot down.


The author's comments:
After reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, I wrote a paper to express the prejudice culture of the southern people at the time.