Denial of John Locke's Natural Rights

Upon reflecting on my own status in society, I contemplated that most of the time, people are denied the right of speech. Every United States’ citizen has different beliefs, values, and customs but we are all united under the same government and its power. At the end of the day, most American citizens believe interference within the government is not necessary as expressed in the laissez-faire economics. On occasions, some government officials overlook the constitution’s amendments and laws due to age, gender, or nationality. As a result, limitations have been placed on the freedom of speech and on the freedom of religion. The government officials fail to recognize that we have natural rights as John Locke said. The freedom of speech was guaranteed in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. The First Amendment was created because the Founding Fathers wanted to guarantee that Americans’ basic civil liberties would not be threatened by the government. The First Amendment guarantees that individuals have the right to protest and petition when things aren’t going as they like. In this informative essay, you will comprehend how freedom of speech is significant on college campuses and how censorship is incompatible with higher education.

The roots of freedom of speech are intertwined with its restraint throughout the United States’ course of history. During the Middle Ages, reconstructing edifices and honesty were the major diplomatic aims. However, the possession of creative ideas were not human and, therefore, they weren’t declared rights. In history, one prominent example of the denial of speech occurred. In 1616, the Church importuned Galileo to stop insisting that the sun was located at the center of the universe. The Church was being phlegmatic to his ideas. Many clerics were afraid that their theories on the sun might be a fundamental error. In the 18th century, the freedom of speech was recognized as a shield against an authoritarian government. The insertion of freedom of speech in the first ten amendments, the Bill of Rights, did not replicate an agreement on the matter. No one realized that this amendment helped students on colleges and universities to organize groups and speak within eclectic limits. After the amendment’s ratification, some government officials proved to be understanding on the subject matter. The rest, including the presidents at colleges and universities, placed boundaries on these rights.

From the period when the first amendment was ratified up until the present, American citizens have been using their rights to ensure basic liberty and to correct mistakes made by the government. Liberty has been denied on the campus of many universities who claim to aid their students in higher learning. Freedom of speech on college campuses allows college students to answer questions about the natural world without being judged for their opinion. If college students can’t comment on theories that have been made law, how can we make new discoveries based on the present? In the video, “What Every Student Should Know Before Starting College,” it is mentioned that public universities don’t allow free speech. Students get banned for telling jokes and for certain comments on Facebook. Not only are they violating the First Amendment but they are also taking away freedom. Although the United States has a representative democracy with a mixed-market economy, we are always open to new ideas, with limits of course. If certain groups of people don’t agree with new ideas, such as communism by Karl Marx, they form a peaceful protest. An example of this would be when African Americans fought for their civil rights in Selma, Alabama and Montgomery, Alabama. Instead of the government being open-minded, they overreached their authority when they have no ability to detect whether someone is in violation of the constitution. In the video, “Five Outrageous Cases Of Campus Censorship,” a man named Hayden Barnes was banned from Valdosta’s campus because he protested against the construction of a parking garage. In this situation, the president of the school had no right to ban Hayden because of his logical opinion opposed to Valdosta’s unreasoned opinion.

Many universities take away their students’ basic rights such as freedom of choice, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion upon enrolling. The limitations on these basic rights have ruined the lives of many students who were expecting higher learning. It remains unclear why a university would accept a student and take away their freedom. Didn’t the founders of these universities finance the universities in order for the students to learn? Universities ban students for joking on others, reading books they claim are racist, and protesting against their ideas. Most of the deans see nothing wrong. They deliberate that the students are speaking out of term and that they should abide by their rules. Even though this statement is true, the deans should never overstep their rules by dishonoring the constitution. If every university pitiestheir students’ civil liberties, there won’t be any students to educate. Therefore, that will lead to low enrollment, professor lay-offs, and less government grants. Defying the right to liberty is against the constitution and against everything the Founding Fathers worked so hard to build.

As you can see, civil liberties are a necessity. Without our rights, presidents wouldn’t be able to campaign freely which would lead to lies of the status of the economy. With the help of FIRE, whose mission is to protect the unprotected, the United States will get back on its feet. This will lead to a less amount of fear on college campuses and a higher enrollment rate.This effect can only come to pass if the presidents of these universities would just stay out of the way and let their students say what they feel needs to be said.