European Imperialism | Teen Ink

European Imperialism

September 9, 2012
By Chad. SILVER, Saratoga, California
Chad. SILVER, Saratoga, California
8 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Work hard, work well.


In the dry heat of the Australian summer, hairy arachnids often get a bad reputation. Tarantula's come inside cool homes and a little too close for some people. A person might accidently step on one of these venomous creatures only to feel fangs slammed into their ankles and feet. Humans are not the only organisms tarantula's are known to attack. The larger species can easily overpower snakes, birds, and lizards. However, certain types of frogs are not on the tarantula's hit list. If one was to dig out a tarantula's burrow, he might see a frog sitting comfortably in front of the spider's eggs. Some tarantulas allow frogs to take shelter in their burrows. The heat of the sun dehydrates a frog's skin. So, the tarantula lets the frog stay in its burrow as a housekeeper for its burrow and eggs. The frog eats any insects that wander in and potentially threaten any eggs their host may have laid. As a result, the tarantula can venture above ground knowing that their nests are safe and clean. This mutual relationship can be seen in Europe in the nineteenth century as the conquest of nations was at its height. The European colonial mission was a mutualistic relationship between each colonized nation which was shown by the civilization of Africa, industrialization in the Far East, and the benefits of British rule in India.

The European colonial mission was a mutualistic relationship with Africa which was shown by the civilization of it. Africa gained many benefits that are still evident today. Africa was introduced to new ideas of individualism, private property and progress. One of the new ideas was African traditional ways were backward and should be abandoned. Before this time the idea of private property was relatively a foreign idea. An example of progress was the introduction of Western style schools. Missionaries introduced to the natives to Christianity and medicine. The conversion to Christianity was often dependent on if the local chieftain changed his faith. If so, his village would follow. Also, there was a new idea of cash crops which meant that the crops were now grown and sold instead of local consumption. Under European rule, it made more sense to grow a crop that could be sold for a profit. The Europeans also gained many benefits. For example, Europeans got exposed to new items for trade and for personal keeping. Also, the colonization of Africa led to new trade routes. Trade routes like South Africa were too important to be lost. Europe and African colonies benefited from each other.

The European colonial mission was a mutualistic relationship with the Far East which was shown by the industrialization of it. Japan especially benefited from this. Japan modeled their army and navy after Britain and Germany. Europe helped Japan become very strong. Soon, Japan was strong enough to negotiate the extraterritorial rights. Europe gained tea and exquisite silk from Japan. Japan evidently prospered from imperialism because it still can be seen today. Japan is a very powerful country with a high level of technology. Europe and Japan benefited from each other.

The European colonial mission was a mutualistic relationship with India. With the spread of imperialism and colonialism, Europeans introduced new means of transport and communication such as the telephone, cars, improved roads, trains, and expanded postal networks. These helped stimulate the economy and flow of knowledge. These new methods of transportation was very useful because India is a large place and prior to this horses, carriages, carts, dirt trails, and letters delivered by travelers were used. Modern technology and education were also introduced. More advanced machines which manufactured goods, antibiotics, cars, guns, cheaper steel production, steam engines, and electricity were introduced. Education was more open after India was imperialized because the caste was somewhat less limited. People learned about bacteria, hygiene, and crop rotation. Medicine, which was previously traditional, using herbs, prayers, and smoke, became more regulated, effective, and preventative. Overall production increased. The population boomed due to better hygiene, medicine, and increased food supply. The food supply boomed because Britain encouraged traveling herders to settle down and farm land. Crop rotation made fields more fertile. The increased amount of farmers expanded into the rain forest, increasing arable land. Many farmers grew cash crops which helped the economy. India was also made more equal. The caste system was removed by Britain. Women no longer had to commit sati. Sati was a religious funeral practice among some communities in which a recently widowed woman either voluntarily or by coercion would immolate herself on her husband’s funeral pyre. And finally, people had somewhat more say in the government. Europe, specifically Britain, gained huge amounts of wealth from India. The British East India Company gave Britain most of its wealth. Europe and India benefited from each other.

The European colonial mission was a mutualistic relationship between each colonized nation which was shown by the civilization of Africa, industrialization in the Far East, and the benefits of British rule in India. Like a tarantula who can devour it's housekeeper, Europe had the capacity to exploit the regions they imperialized, but they did not. Europe made those areas a better place to live. Africa, Japan, and India greatly benefited from Europe's interests in them.


The author's comments:
My passion for history motivated me to write on the imperialistic nature of Europe in the nineteenth century.