The Significance of Sacrifice in The Hunger Games | Teen Ink

The Significance of Sacrifice in The Hunger Games

By IADayan GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
IADayan GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The plot of The Hunger Games revolves around Katniss Everdeen volunteering to take her sister’s place in a dangerous fight for life. In this competition, twenty-four tributes were placed in arena where they had to kill each other and only one would survive. The reoccurring theme of sacrifice in The Hunger Games is an essential element of the novel. If this theme was missing, the novel would not have the same effect because the crucial event upon which all others hinge is Katniss’ sacrifice to save her sister. Once in the Games, Katniss was willing to give up her security to put flowers on Rue’s dead body, nurture Peeta, and was also willing to die with him. By showing that even in a world filled with cruelty human nature is not always evil, these acts defied the Capitol’s ruthless power and weakened it. Being able to weaken the Capitol’s power was a main topic of the plot and it was only able to be done through sacrifice.

The plot would have been the same if Katniss’ name was called in the reaping instead of Prim’s and she did not have to volunteer for her sister. However, the strength of Katniss’ character would have been missing. Her sacrifice made her a hero from the starting point. It was also a reason sponsors favored her in the Games. Therefore, even if the same elements of the plot were present without the use of sacrifices, they would not have the same effect because they were not achieved through goodness and selflessness. This concept is very important in a setting as cruel as Panem. In conclusion, The Hunger Games became popular because it contains specific themes that apply to people today, relate to their own lives, and therefore intrigue them. For this reason, that element is crucial to the novel.