North and South Korea | Teen Ink

North and South Korea

April 19, 2012
By ForeverSweetheart GOLD, Safford, Arizona
ForeverSweetheart GOLD, Safford, Arizona
17 articles 1 photo 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Babe, do what you have to do." -- Ryan M.
"I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells." -- Dr. Seuss
"Put him in the taffy puller!"
"Taffy puller?!"
"Hey! That was my idea!" -- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.


In the beginning, North and South Korea were at war. The countries have certainly had their trying moments through which they have developed one country into communist government, and the other as a democratic republic. Though the countries are still at faults with each other, they have taken down the wall that created a barrier between family and friends. Over time I suspect that the relationship will become better.

Initially, Korea couldn’t decide on a compromise for the type of government that was wanted. While North Korea wanted communism, South Korea wanted a more structured government, and they opted for a democratic republic. During the Korean War (the beginning of separate Koreas) the countries divided and built a wall along the 38th parallel. When what is now South Korea failed to hold free elections, it deepened the division. It is needless to say that the first contact that was established was hostile.

Although the two countries were split, North Korea tried to exert dominance over South Korea so they would be reunited under the communist government. It was through this that the Korean Civil War began, and the United States stepped in to help South Korea, while the Soviets stepped in with North Korea. This war ended in 1953, when the two nations signed the Korean War Armistice Agreement.

The countries still are struggling today, but in 2000 the South Korean president, Ki m Dae Jung proposed the “Sunshine Policy.” All in all, it says that the North cannot attack the South, and the South cannot try to “fix” the North’s government. It also allows the two countries to trade, which will improve the economy of both Koreas. As a result, the tariffs have been reduced, and ties are growing. Through the skirmishes that have occurred through the last decade, I am proud to say that South Korea has been a stickler to the policy, and they have ceased to antagonize North Korea.

Resources have been a large ground for the relationship between the two countries, as they are a base for trade, and strengthening the economy. Although the land will continue to be split because they can’t decide whether they should be joined, or split. I don’t blame them though because it is hard to get a whole country to have mania over the same thing. While North Korea is more industrial, its major resources are steel, hydroelectric power, chemicals, and coal. However, South Korea is more agricultural; thus, the major resources are food, machinery, and consumer products.

It is obvious that all countries will have their differences. Yet, I do admire North and South Korea’s strength to become more united economically than not. They do share many resources, and although the education they have is different, the children are very smart. In reflection, the countries are very well off, and I am sure that their renewed relationship that is now limited to economics, will grow and flourish.