Greek Mythology versus the God of the Bible

For thousands of years, people have followed and worshipped many gods of many religions. The gods of polytheistic religions usually each have an "area of expertise" such as weather or healing. People of polytheistic belief usually choose one specific god to worship most thoroughly, as this god most pertains to the person's lifestyle. Greek families did this often, for they were a polytheistic people. Farmers would often choose Diana as their patron goddess, as she is the goddess of the harvest by Greek belief. Travelers would worship Hermes because he was ordained the god of travelers and merchants. However, Greek families did not worship just one theistic power. When a great tragedy occured, such as a flood, all Greeks in the area would sacrifice to Poseidon or Zeus, the gods of the sea and the sky. The Greeks heavily leaned on all of their gods for protection, blessings, and prosperity. They would also look to the gods for explanations of happenings they did not understand, like illnesses, unfruitful harvests, wild behavior, and natural disasters. Worshippers of the Greek gods saw the wills of the gods as the determining forces of all occurrances, both big and small. However, though the Greeks fervently believed in and worhsipped their many gods, they overlooked an extreme number of inconsistencies in their religion.

For instance, a god named Hermes was ordaned the god of travelers and merchants, but he was also in charge of protecting and empowering theives. This is ironic because Hermes' protection spans two very different groups with very different ideals. Hermes supported and endorsed stealing as well as proper dealings, which makes him a noncredible source of power. In a different way, Ares was just as hypocritical. The god of war, though he enjoyed human bloodshed, was actually quite a coward. Though his wife Aphrodite cheated on him multiple times, Ares did nothing about it because of his cowardess and fear of confrontation. There are many more inconsistencies found in Greek mythology, but none are bound in the Bible, the Word of God. The God of the Bible is never cowardly or hypocritical. Neither does he delight in human bloodshed or human difficulties because of his undying love and empathetic sympathy towards humankind. In fact, the God of the Bible cares for and protects his people much more than the Greek gods were ever believed to. Psalm 28:8 says, "The Lord is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his annointed ones." God himself proclaimed his faithfulness to his people saying, "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand" (Isaiah 41:10). God did not leave his people wondering like those who worshipped the Greek gods, whether or not he would protect them. The Greeks sacrificed whenever they were in trouble or needed help; their gods were fallbacks used only in times of despair, but the God of the Bible expectrs his followers to worhsip him continuously. God watns his people to worship him not out of fear, like the worshippers of the Greek gods, but out of sincere love and devotion to him.

Further inconsistencies include the sinful behavior of the gods. The Greek gods were not "role models" for the Greek people. In fact, the Greek gods were created in the image of man. This image included all human attributes, especially the sinfullness of man. The Greek gods often drank to the point of drunkeness and ate to the point of gluttony. They pursued each other in lustful manners and commintted unwarented manslaughter in their seek for vengence. They delighted in bloodshed and other displays of immorality. Whereas the God of the Bible frowns upon immoral practices, the gods of the Greeks both participated in and endorsed immoral festivities. One such god to do so, was Dionysus, the god of ritual madness and drunkenness. Dionysus is a contradiction in himself, in that he was born of a mortal woman, making hinm a demigod, rather than the full-fledged Olympian he was said to be. The gods also committed the sin of sexual immorality. Even Zeus, the king od the gods, was disloyal to his wife Hera. The God of the Bible makes it clear that adultery is wrong in that it is considered the epitome of sifnullness.

Another inconsistency in the roles of the Greek gods lies in the persona of Artemis. Artemis was a goddes given the responsibility of protecting and empowering hunters and huntresses. However, Artemis was also in charge of protecting wild animals and beasts of game. Therein lies the irony of the goddess Artemis. Where Artemis places equal stock in both man and animal, the Lord places man above beasts. He places our importance above that of animals because of our possession of souls and our capability of coherent thought and moral decision making. God makes man ruler and protector of the animal kingdom because of our superiority to them. Another inconsistency lies with Hera, who was previously mentioned as the wife of Zeus. Hera was the goddess of marriage, the irony of which is self explanatory. Hera's husband Zeus had many affairs with goddesses and mortal women alike. This turned Hera from her kind, solemn nature, into a vengeful and spiteful woman. Despite Hera's lack of success with marriage, mortal women still prayed to and worshipped her with fervor in the hope of securing prosperity in their own married lives.

Having reviewed the countless inconsistencies of Greek mythology, it is easy to infer that the Greek gods were created by fallible men and women. The gods were created in the image of man in order for man to identify with heavenly deities. However, the God of the Bible existed long before man was ever created. God created man in His image because of his great love for us. God is described as perfect, flawless, and incapable of committing sins, whereas the Greek gods were infamous for their flamboyant displays of immorality. Many of the Greek gods were cowardly unlike the strong God of the Bible. They were also lawlessly vengeful, wehreas the Lord is always just in His decisions and punishments. There are no inconsistencies to be found in the Bible, nor with the God of the Bible, unlike the myths of the Greek gods. This makes the God of Jews and Christians the only God that truly exists as well as the most credible deity known to man.

jtyler said...
this was obviously very biased. your religion has just as much, if not more, inconsistencies. for example: Jealousy is mentioned as on if the 7 deadly sins; yet the Bible is constantly saying how Jehovah is a jealous god.

Zeus said...
Jun. 5, 2015 at 5:52 am
Prove to me that Zeus didn't create humanity and that man didn't invent God, and not vice-versa.

james222 said...
This article is terrible becasue of how bias you were when writing this. You have to take into acount that "god" is the same as the greek gods. You say men and women made up the idea of the greek gods. How about for christianity? No one has proof of the "god", but no one has proof of any other god either. What if its just us animals and we developed from apes into humans like scientists actually say. It was really clear you were a christian and you didnt even get the few thin... (more »)

Ares said...
Its a good review.....but u missed many parts...for eg- Firstly the greek mythology proved everyone,man and beast to be equal.....u thinking  urself above animals doesn't make u better....science prooved that every creature has its own special ability...can u move as fast as a mantis or are u as strong as an elephant?simply because we don't like their abilities doesn't make them lesser..... Secondly according to greek mythology we were created with the both good and bad ... (more »)

Greek replied...
Yeah I agree with you. The greek gods werent perfect. nothing is perfect. the christian god is not perfect. as mentioned in the above comment, there are many flaws with god. the greek gods were meant to show all aspects of humans, their good qualities as well as their bad qualities. there is democracy and equality among them. your single christian god however, as mentioned in the comment above, has many flaws and problems. also, besides all the reasons why greek gods are better, would you rather... (more »)