I Have a Dream | Teen Ink

I Have a Dream

February 2, 2012
By pianoluver97 SILVER, Huntington, West Virginia
pianoluver97 SILVER, Huntington, West Virginia
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When you were little, did you ever dream of being a ballerina or an astronaut? Or maybe you dreamed of going on a safari in the Amazon or being a famous celebrity? Whether you dreamt of any of these things or not, we have all had dreams. All my life I have wanted to accomplish one thing and one thing only. What is that, you may ask? My dream is to play piano in Carnegie Hall. What is your dream?


Now, you may be thinking right now, what the heck is Carnegie Hall? Carnegie Hall is in New York. Several famous pianists have performed there and I believe it is one of the best places to play piano. I have never even been to New York before, let alone Carnegie Hall. I have always wanted to go there ever since I saw a girl on You Tube play there. She was, what they call, a "prodigy." I would strive for the rest of my elementary years trying to get called a "prodigy."


The word prodigy means: a person with exceptional talents or powers. So, aren't we all kind of a prodigy in some way? Everybody has their own talent, whether it be art, music, math, or anything else imaginable. So, why do we just single out one person. Sorry. I am getting off track; aren't I? I do that sometimes when I get going on a subject.


Have you ever wanted something so bad that you would do anything for it? Well, that is the way it is with piano and I. I practice non-stop, hoping that someday, I will be able to reach the "prodigy" level. After putting some thought to all of this, I decided that as long as I do my best, I can be a prodigy in my own eyes. Sometimes, I look for acceptance from other people, when I should really just worry about what I think of myself. Now, that does not mean I can not still accept other people's opinions and criticism. If you take time to think about it, none of that really matters, does it?


So, there you have it. I have gotten up on my soapbox and told you my dream. Yes, there may be some other people in the world that have the same dream as me but, I am my own person. I am probably going to approach achieving this dream differently than anybody else. I am original and nobody will ever tell me to be somebody when I am perfectly fine with being me. Carnegie Hall can wait for me as long as it takes. It's not going anywhere!


The author's comments:
Martin Luther King Jr. inspired me to write this piece and I hope people will see that whatever your dream is, you can achieve it.