A Man of Wow | Teen Ink

A Man of Wow

By thegreatinquiry PLATINUM, Knoxville, Tennessee
thegreatinquiry PLATINUM, Knoxville, Tennessee

I've never let school interfere with my education. -Mark Twain

Titus
Full name: Titus Flavius Vespasianus
Status: Passed away.
Occupation: Roman emperor from AD 79-81
Years of existence: AD 39-81

During the Flavian Dynasty of the Roman reign, Titus Flavius Vespasianus was brought into the world. His father Vespasian was a prominent political figure of the day, and, by default, Titus was raised in a wholly military environment. In 70, Titus made his first mark on the world: he led the siege that destroyed the Jewish temple during the Jewish Wars. Although one would think actions of this caliber would indicate a man of fierceness, Titus was not known as the severe sort. He was generally regarded as kind, handsome, and well-loved by his fellowman.

It came to pass that Titus’ father Vespasianus rose to power as the emperor at Titus’ urging. After he passed away, however, Titus assumed the role of emperor. During his first year as ruler, he was confronted with a devastating blow to the Roman Empire: Mt. Vesuvius erupted and effectively destroyed the city of Pompeii. Titus once again gained the support of his subjects when he exhausted his fortune in an effort to aid the victims of the Vesuvius eruption. What a show of generosity!

A chief highlight of Titus’ short reign was the conclusion of the nine year Coliseum project. Titus celebrated the finish of this grand undertaking by initiating a 100 day-long festival of gladiator fights, sea battle demonstrations, and other dramatizations.

In 81, Titus’ rule abruptly came to an end when his brother Domitian allegedly killed him. Thus ended an era of peace and prosperity. Thus began Domitian’s government of terror