Character Analysis- Rainsford | Teen Ink

Character Analysis- Rainsford

In America, there are over 23 million hunters. Throughout history hunting has been a favorite pass time for America, and most of the world. To be a successful hunter, much expertise is needed. The necessary skills required, such as endurance, ability to quickly make decisions, and a sharp eye, are presented in Richard Connell’s story, “The Most Dangerous Game,” when a famous hunter, Sanger Rainsford, is stranded on a mysterious island and he uses his hunting abilities to play “the Game.” The only way for Rainsford to make it out alive is to use his impressive hunting skills. Based on Rainsford’s actions, thoughts, and the reaction of other characters, it is clear that he is an experienced hunter.

First, the actions preformed by Rainsford communicates talent in the area of hunting. Even though he was tired and hurt he kept pushing on. After trying to confuse General Zaroff, “Night found him leg-weary, with his hands and face lashed by the branches, on a thickly wooded ridge,” (Connel 24). Here we get the idea he couldn’t keep going, but he did anyways. Another example of Rainsford’s competence as a hunter is he knew eventually he had to find somewhere to rest. Rainsford climbed a tree and started “...stretching out on one of the broad limbs, after a fashion, rested. Rest brought him new confidence and almost a feeling of security” (Connel 25). Rainsford knew that if he got rest it would bring him energy and confidence for fighting the general. Overall, he could identify the right time to keep going or to get rest which is an important aspect of being a hunter.

Secondly, Rainsford’s thoughts show he is an accomplished hunter. Once he figured out the general could follow complex trails, his inner hunter started to think up a plan of escape. Rainsford stopped to think, “His first thought made him feel sick and numb. The general could follow a trail through the woods at night; he could follow an extremely difficult trail; he must have uncanny powers; only by the merest chance had the Cossack failed to see his quarry,” (Connel 26). Although General Zaroff had skillfulness in the area of hunting it was no match for Rainsford’s intelligence.

Lastly, the reaction of other characters proves Rainsford’s expertise in hunting. Whitney clearly expresses Rainsford’s sharp eye and a previous hunting experience. On the yacht, Whitney stated, “‘You’ve good eyes,’ said Whitney, with laugh, ‘and I’ve seen you pick off a moose moving in the brown fall bush at four hundred yards...’” (Connel 13). Perceptive eye sight and experience is a must for savvy hunters. Through the other characters talking to Rainsford, this shows that he possesses the skills necessary to be an excellent gamer.

Rainsford used his hunting skills to defeat the human-hunter General Zaroff. Based on Rainsford’s actions, thoughts, and the reaction of other characters it is clear that he is a skilled hunter. Rainsford can determine when to keep going or rest. He also knows when he is on the brink of danger. He is famous and well-known for his hunting skill s. Not everyone can hunt like Rainsford, but skills like stamina, instant thinking, and a perceptive eye can still be used in everyday life.