A Rose for Emily | Teen Ink

A Rose for Emily

October 31, 2011
By barbara las BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
barbara las BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Emily herself is a tradition, staying the same over the years regardless of the many changes in her community. She is in many ways unique. As a living monument to the past, she represents the traditions that people should value and honor; however, she is also a burden and entirely cut off from the outside world. Emily would never be convinced change is good, she had a hard time letting go of her father when he passed away.(Citation1) Emily’s father was rich, he had special privileges in their town. “He had loaned money to the town” (citation2). As to repay her father the town would excuse his taxes. The aldermen arrive to try and secure Emily’s annual tax payment; this was the only way someone would want to talk to her. Everyone else lived their own lives ignoring Emily and her problems.

Miss. Emily was an emblem of the old south, whose respectability declined over the years like old traditions. There were secrets about Emily that were slowly being reviled when her father died. “All the ladies prepared to call the house and offer condolences and aid, as is our custom Miss. Emily met them at the door dressed as usual and with no trace of grief on her face. She told them that her father was not dead.”(Citation1) another example was “She then finally gave up his body after two years of keeping it in her home.” This meant that she had let go of him and let that change come into her life. Although she left that part of her life go she could not stand to be alone for good, “we all thought Homer was going to marry Emily, poor Emily” this is another hidden secret everyone thought Homer had left Emily but she actually killed him so he would never leave. The dust throughout Emily’s house is a fitting accompaniment to the faded lives within. When the aldermen arrive to try and secure Emily’s annual tax payment, the house smells of “dust and disuse.” (Citation2)

Racism is everywhere; in the text it was recognizable that there was talk on fairness and racism. Emily had her own “servant” he would constantly do everything for her. The servant would go to the market and do her shopping since she would never go out because of her passing of both men she loved, her father and lover. In the story “Emily would call the servant “Negro.”(Citation1)” That shows a lot of hatred for non whites, it is obvious how much passion of hatred was toward a different race because the poor servant wasn’t worthy of a name at all. Another example of racism is “No woman should appear on the streets without an apron.”(citation2) Now in modern time no one would say that to anyone and to even look back at that it really does not make sense.

In conclusion you can learn a lot from a basic story using three types of methods, these methods are character, secrets and anthropology. In each of these you can find secrets about Miss. Emily and her life overall.