Learning, Earning and Yearning | Teen Ink

Learning, Earning and Yearning

By Mlssquirt BRONZE, French Creek, West Virginia
Mlssquirt BRONZE, French Creek, West Virginia

As a successful High School Senior, I am thankful to have been given the privilege of growing up in a small country town. I have come to understand through the years, that success has three main ingredients: learning, earning, and yearning. Though I come from a very will mannered and respectful family and household, I owe much of my success to the teachers and faculty of my Elementary School.

By definition, learning means to acquire knowledge of by study, instruction, or experience. I believe learning takes place when students are comfortable with their surroundings and have a well structured atmosphere and instructor. Though at times I wished I were older and did not have to go to school, I enjoyed every minute spent with my peers, teachers and faculty.

Through learning, I have gained the apprehension of earning. Having been taught to always work for the highest goal, and never cease putting forth effort, I have earned many things in my life, whether it be a piece of candy at home or a high acclaimed scholarship for college. My life has been structured around the standard: Before you quit, try! Those four small words are big enough to conquer the world.

The will never to give up, or yearning, is the result of learning and earning. If we have been taught to earn, once we earn, it is a natural concept to yearn for greater achievements. I would like to give my gratitude to the staff of Rock Cave Elementary School for helping set me on the path to success. I believe strongly that a little bit goes a long way. I am thankful for even those ten little math problems I may have been assigned in third grade, which I probably complained about, because those ten math problems helped me to get to the point where I am standing right now.