Buddhism vs. Hinduism | Teen Ink

Buddhism vs. Hinduism

By awritersesteem GOLD, Stafford, Virginia
awritersesteem GOLD, Stafford, Virginia

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your inspiration with others."

-Robert Louis Stevenson

Both Buddhism and Hinduism are well known religions. They are two of the most popular polytheistic faiths in the world. Some people believe them to be sects of the same religion, but they are mistaken. Buddhism and Hinduism have some similarities, but many things set them apart from each other as well. They are each their own religion in many aspects.

Buddhism and Hinduism come from the same region, India. Both of them are very focused on nature, the things around them, though they both believe in several hells and heavens, or higher and lower worlds. They both believe in karma which is the affect a person’s actions in this life will change his next life. Another point is that both religions focus on peace, and non violence towards all living things. They are compassionate, which ties into their focus on nature. Buddhism and Hinduism also believe in various spiritual practices such as meditation, concentration, and states of mind. Desire is the largest cause of suffering in both of the faiths. Another likeness is they both believe in reincarnation, and salvation. They believe the good deeds of a person are their work for salvation and their salvation will decide their next life, when they are reincarnated. Also, they both believe that there are many paths to enlightenment, such as overcoming your feelings and controlling over the six senses. Both religions are more philosophical then religious. Buddhists and Hindus both practice many forms of yoga and meditation and other ways to calm ones mind and focus the mind, such as Buddha did. They have many likenesses.

Hinduism and Buddhism are both their own religions and cultures. They are different in many ways that define who they are and what their faith is. Hinduism was not founded by any sort of prophet, whereas Buddhism was founded by Buddha. Hindus believe in the Vedas, but the Buddhists do not believe in the Vedas or any other Hindu holy book. Buddhists do not believe in the existence of souls, or the Christian God. Hindus believe in Atman, who is the individual soul, and Brahman, the creator of all. The people of the Hindu religion believe the Buddha to be a reincarnation of one of their gods of the Hindu Trinity but the Buddhists do not believe in any Hindu god as equivalent better than Buddha. Hindus believe in the four stages of life, but the Buddha do not share that believe. Whereas the Buddhists believe in the concept of Bodhisattvas, or the enlightened existence, but the Hindus do not. Buddhists must believe that the Buddha, Sangha, and Dhamma are the three most important requirements on the eightfold path, or the principal teachings of the Buddha. Hinduism has many different paths of self realization. Both religions believe in karma and reincarnation, but their terms and conditions vary, different in as many ways as they are similar. Buddhists have no priests or rituals like the Hindus do. Also, in the Buddhist religion, any follower than achieve Nirvana, but in the Hindu religion, only the Brahmins, or priests, could achieve moksha, the Hindu equivalent of Nirvana. Another large difference is that Buddhists do not believe in the Caste System, a main factor in Hinduism. This is one of their largest differences. Hinduism does not know their original creator, unlike most other religions; they’ve lost any information about their founder over the many years, whereas the Buddhists know their creator, Buddha. Buddhism is a much younger religion than Hinduism. The two religions are very much different.

Both religions came from the same soil, in what is now known as India. They share a rather odd and uncomfortable relationship, being in the same area and having some strong differences, but strong similarities as well. Many people believe that Buddhism became popular in India because it freed people from the oppression of tradition. Buddha’s teachings gave the Indians hope and aspiration which Hinduism did not offer them at the time. Even people today claim Buddhism was a sect of Hinduism. This belief is not acceptable by the Buddhists who said Buddha was the first to experience Nirvana and shared the experience with others and taught them the eight fold path, showing them a way to experience it was well, firing up the religion and causing its growth and popularity. As in most religious disagreements there were times of executions of Buddhists by Hindu rulers. Although despite their many disagreements and battles, the two religions did indeed influence each other in many ways. After all, the founder of Buddhism, Buddha, was born and raised a Hindu himself. It would be rare for the two religions not to share any likenesses.

Buddhists and Hindus share many similarities. They also have a fair share of differences. There have been times of persecution and execution, and time of peace and understanding between the two cultures. They share a history with each other, which is to be expected since they blossomed from the same region of Asia. The two religions are definitely two separate beliefs.

poiuyt said...
on May. 9 2020 at 12:05 am
poiuyt, South West Delhi, Other
well this is the type of article which is written down by someone who don't understand buddism and hinduism.. just by intrenet searching..or work done by jesuit missionaries on both religion.... well first hinduism is not even called hinduism its sanatan dharma.. eternal Dharma... dharama means righteousness.. same will buddism thats bodh dharma.. bodh or budhha man enlighted dharma... also there is no persecution... stories creted by missionaries to maake buddhist and hindus look like islam and christian to fight for religion.. buddhism and hinduism(so called) are spiritual pratices to unite with god orr attain salavation or nirvanaa(buddism) or moksa( hindu) both are same thing... also brahmin are not the one that get moksa... its based on kaarma.. second caste is indian thing which chrostian and muslim too practise while marriage... its not sanatan dharma.. although its almost gone now.., but moksa or nirvana can be achieved only by two ways either karma or spirtual awakening(like nirvana).. buddsim is one of countless philosphy that are part of sanatan dharma... and can be practise indivually... like vedas ,upadhnisad.. bhagawat... and hundreds other.. maany of these philosphy contradict others.. there is no one way a god is imagined in hinduism .. hinduism believe .. in no god ,1 god brahman with no power or characteristic, 1 god brahman with supreme characteristic, Many gods and many many demigods god exist evreey where and in everything... its not 1 idealogy..its many idealogy that revolves around dhrama karma samsara moksa(nirvana) which is common in all thaats why it spiritual philosphy of seekers rather than follower of one book one tradition or one god ..people seek god in the way they want too.. buddism is a particular form o sanatan dharma in which practisioner follow parth to achieve moksa shown by buddha..bodh dharma is dhramaa righteous path told by buddha... sanatan dhrama means seek dharma according to your liking..so people choose their own path ... be it by religious books,gurus,god based bhakti,karma based,jnana yog meditation and spirual awakening.
but this article is more how jesuit missionary thinks of both religion.. which in truth are not even religions rather spritual philosphy,.. christianty and islam are reigion..all religion and political entity with dos and don't whith god in them,

kenzieblob1 said...
kenzieblob1,
What Hindu belief is similar to Buddhism’s 8 fold path?

aaronpantoja said...
aaronpantoja,
how did buddhism modify hinduism ?

on Mar. 11 2015 at 2:04 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Reading my comment.. I'm really sorry for the unnecessary aggression, I just couldn't help it. Sorry :)

on Mar. 11 2015 at 1:58 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

I love this, you really present some very fresh points that many choose to ignore about these religions. While it seems you've done your fair share of study on this, for which I must commend you and your absolutely brilliant article, I do not quite agree to several points you've mentioned. I hope you don't mind me pointing that out. Beginning with polytheism, Hinduism at its core is monotheistic and Buddhism is in a way agnostic. Also, if we enter different sects and branches, there are several figures revered as deities in both religions. It is also false that 'only Brahmins or people of higher caste shall achieve Moksha' is a belief in Hinduism. In fact, caste system is more of a cultural thing than religious. Also, Hindus have not 'lost' information about their founders, largely because the entire society of that time period contributed in one way or another to develop their culture/religion. Their relationship, too, is not uncomfortable at all, at least in the present. Nonetheless, it was a well written piece. Congratulations! I hope you keep writing :)

DIS IS DA BEST WEBSITE ITS DA BOMB.COM

COOKIEZ101 said...
Dis Article Is Da BEST Dis Article Helped Me Write A Essay One Buddhism and Hinduism

xcLprunner said...
What principal of the eight fold path is similar to Hinduism?

Lexie24 said...
I need to know how hinduism affected buddism???

stunner213 said...
on Feb. 28 2014 at 2:49 am
indeed well written and well summarised.... am studing religions too....

monopolygirl said...
this was so well written and helped alot, im doing a ven diaram on hinduism and buduism so im done know

I love girls said...
on Feb. 6 2013 at 9:54 am
This was awesome info thanks alot, you where a Great help, realy amazing

i love boys said...
i to have a project and i love to study religions you go girl

breezysea said...
I have a project on hinduism. I love hearing about the types of religons there are and learning about them! :)