The Importance of Being Literate | Teen Ink

The Importance of Being Literate

March 28, 2011
By MickeyC BRONZE, Pampa, Texas
MickeyC BRONZE, Pampa, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The definition or literacy, according to the Webster’s New World Dictionary, is “the quality or state of being literate.” In other words, the ability to read, write, spell, and communicate effectively progressively encourages the development of the way people learn and understand the world around them. The characteristics of proficient literacy would include enunciation, world and self-awareness, and a well-rounded knowledge of literary works. Enunciation is very important because it does not matter what a person says if no one can understand what they are saying. It is imperative that people take initiative in their education and are always learning new words. Also, watch the news! People need to know what is going on in the world so that they can hold an intelligent conversation about what is going on around them. Probably the most crucial aspect of being effective and literate would be to read books from all genres. Having an extensive and balanced comprehension of how different authors use diverse writing styles gradually modifies the human mind.

Kids of today are a technological generation who rely solely on electronics to communicate with each other. The use of abbreviations in text messages, online chat conversations, and the decrease of phone calls and written letters are all short-cuts that affect the way children relate to one another. Without a doubt, kids are already taking these damaging grammar habits into their English classrooms. Unfortunately, these drawbacks the kids forced upon themselves to make things seem “easier” are going to lead to conflicts in their adult lives, especially when they are in search of a job. However, it is most likely more beneficial for schools to incorporate technology into a student’s education in order to teach them to make better use of their resources in a way that consequentially helps them in the long run. "In coming years literacy will mean knowing how to choose between print, image, video, sound, and all the potential combinations they could create to make a particular point with a specific audience (Baggott)." Although this future may seem ideal, to me it is quite heartbreaking. On a personal level, I believe that I would not have half the character I exhibit today without my love of reading, writing, and excelling at spelling. For the sake of those who find joy in reading and writing, it is my respective hope that technology does not replace today’s current literary compositions.

Regrettably, kids today simply have more disorders than they used to. ADHD, Autism, and Dyslexia are just a few of the conditions that perpetuate the inability to learn appropriately and efficiently. In spite of well-educated teachers and accommodating parents, these children are most likely always going to have difficulties in their reading, writing, spelling, and speaking. “Reading, writing, gesturing, listening, and speaking are all forms of language – a code we learn to use in order to communicate ideas (American Speech).” Kids with special needs will, in fact, need extra attention and, if there are so many children being taught by one teacher, they are not receiving the essential foundation of all learning: the ability to read. Classroom dynamics are definitely a determining factor within a child’s learning environment. Nowadays there are larger classrooms, shorter classes, and less one on one time with the teachers.
“Not all children learn in the same way,” as the National Reading Panel states, “and one strategy does not work for all children.” Different kids require different manners of attention, feedback, and teaching techniques in order to fully comprehend and appreciate the abilities of reading, writing, and spelling well. In my case, when I was in elementary school I thrived off of teacher feedback. I craved being told what I was doing right, and I found it necessary to understand what I was doing wrong so that I could act upon and correct my faults. However, not many children are going to do that. If it is because they are simply introverted children or they just do not want to know and would rather move on, they are not going to grasp exactly what they need to hear. Teachers ought to be sensitive and make sure they give both positive and negative feedback to competently expound to their students what they need to refine and how to achieve that goal in their reading, writing, and spelling aptitudes.

Regardless of capable teachers and parents that make education a priority, there will always be kids who are slower and have trouble in spite of how much help and support the have. Additional assistance and encouragement, however, is never a contrite course of action. Continually reassuring kids while also critiquing their academic performances in reading, writing, and spelling will ultimately affect them in a constructive way that will make them strive to execute further aspirations. There are many elements to be taken into consideration in order to effectively understand why children are straining to learn literacy that they study all throughout their school-life, and schools should make it their precedence to advocate the persistent necessity to teach the children individually according to their needs in the English course.


The author's comments:
Laura Bush came to my school recently and asked some students at the school to write an essay describing what makes up good literacy. I loved writing this piece because reading is something near and dear to my heart.