Rupert Grint, My Boyfriend | Teen Ink

Rupert Grint, My Boyfriend

By keely1 SILVER, Hometown, Illinois
keely1 SILVER, Hometown, Illinois

David Frost once said, “Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.” British actor Rupert Grint plays Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter film adaptations, for which he got the role when he was thirteen years old. Grint started his life ordinarily, with no acting experience. After he received the role of Ron, he became successful almost overnight; his talent outweighed his lack of experience. His immediate success inspires people of all ages, all around the world. Rupert Grint began his life as a normal boy, but he became successful after his role in Harry Potter; Grint’s immediate fame inspires people all across the world.

Rupert Grint started off as any other ordinary boy; he had no experience and was the farthest thing from famous. He was born on August 24, 1988, with one brother and three sisters. He went to an all boys-school in Hetsfordshire, England, where he acted in one school play. Grint grew up as a regular boy with an ordinary family; his whole life was changed in one day by getting the role of Ron Weasley. However, Grint didn’t take fame the way many other celebrities have, but instead he went along with his life by staying in school and continuing to care about the things he cared most about even before his Harry Potter role. Grint’s family and friends also stayed at the top of his list of priorities. He once said, “All my brothers and sisters and friends have really helped me. They make my life normal. I still have arguments with my brother. And the little ones don’t really understand. They just treat me like Rupert. Which is brilliant, really” (Welsh). Although his life was changed abruptly, he still wants to be known as Rupert, not as Ron. Grint was also a typical teenager by being a Harry Potter fan. He said, “I am the biggest Harry Potter fan; I even was before I knew there was going to be a film. I read all the books” (Welsh). Most kids during his time were reading the Harry Potter series, and even after he got the role, he still continued to read them. Rupert Grint also chose to keep attending school while he held the role of Ron. He also still has chores to do. When Grint spoke about how things at home were after his role had been given to him, he said, “Things at home didn’t change much. I still have to clean my own room” (Welsh)! This ordinary teenager with a life similar to most others became one of the most successful and well-known actors of our time.

Rupert Grint’s success is due almost completely to his Harry Potter role. After only one movie, he was already known by the whole world. People everywhere notice him just walking down the streets. He said, “I’ve tried several disguises and stuff but that doesn’t work. I do get recognized sometimes, but it’s cool. Fans asking for my autograph is really weird; it’s hard to get used to” (Welsh). Grint went from an everyday teenager to a 13-year-old superstar. “He was also making four million dollars by 2007, when he filmed the fifth movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and by age 20, he was making fifteen million dollars a movie” (Wikipedia). Grint’s character of Ron Weasley also gave him the opportunity to be noticed by other directors. He was casted in Cherry Bomb, Driving Lessons, and Wild Target. He could now say his success was not only limited to his role in the Harry Potter movies. Not only is Grint successful and talented, but he’s also an inspiration to people everywhere.

Once Rupert Grint was casted as Ron Weasley in Harry Potter, children, teenagers and even adults everywhere were noticing him. Here is a normal 13-year-old child who will be a millionaire by the time he’s twenty-one. The thing people look up to the most about Grint is his lack of experience before he got casted. Grint acted in one school play prior to being cast in Harry Potter. His talent was obviously there, but he had kept it hidden his whole life. The fact that he had no experience but was still casted in a multi-million-dollar movie is what encouraged people. They believed that if Rupert Grint could do it, so could they. Grint’s fame was also not limited to only fans of Harry Potter. “Emma Roberts and Alexa Vega named him as their favorite actor, and he was ranked number sixteen on “Forbes List of the 20 Top-Earning Young Superstars”. He was also ranked the number one international celebrity on an online-poll by Popstar Magazine in 2007 and considered one of the fifty-five faces of the future by Nylon Magazine’s Young Hollywood issue” (Welsh). Many people were beginning to notice this new face in Hollywood after he accomplished so many things. Most importantly, however, Grint inspires people by continuing to stay true to himself, even though he is now an international superstar. He walked into the audition for Ron Weasley with rap lyrics that he wrote himself, and he fulfilled his childhood fantasy of owning and driving an ice cream truck with the salary he made filming Harry Potter. People everywhere are motivated by Rupert Grint because of his unique personality and his strange look at fame. He once said, “Being famous is wicked, but it’s better to be normal” (Welsh). Yes, he is already a millionaire at age twenty, but his values and morals haven’t changed one bit, and that is what keeps people interested and inspired by Rupert Grint.

Rupert Grint lived nothing but a normal life until at age thirteen, he was cast in Harry Potter, which turned out to be one of the most successful movie series from 2000 and on. While his success continued to rise from being in different movies and magazines, he always stayed true to his beliefs. Rupert Grint is an important face in Hollywood because he began as an amateur actor and became a huge celebrity. Grint always knew acting was a part of him, but he never decided to pursue it until he heard of auditions for Harry Potter; when he captured the role as Ron Weasley, he became instantly successful.