Living in a Diverse Society | Teen Ink

Living in a Diverse Society

By amandaa SILVER, Lysekil, Other
amandaa SILVER, Lysekil, Other

"Set a goal so big that if you achieved it, it would blow your mind." -The Secret

I believe that diversity strengthens a society because the influence from different cultures with their various beliefs and ideas will make a society open-minded and dynamic. This can be seen in the quick development of Dubai from village to metropolis in just 30 years. This creates tolerance and contributes to reduce racism. It also makes the society interesting to live and work in. To get to know people from all over the world, eat their food, learn about their cultures, all make living in a diverse society very educating and interesting.

One of the disadvantages of living in a diverse society is that it is hard to keep your own cultural identity. It makes it harder but more important to keep your own traditions alive. Another disadvantage is that when you go back to your home country where you are from, you notice that you have been affected by living in a diverse society. For example, if in Sweden, a Muslim woman walks by with a burqa around her head, everybody stares at her and maybe says something. I don’t even notice it. For me, having lived in the UAE for 11 years now, I find it normal that women wear burqas. My point being is that you lose some of yourself. You’re not the person you would be if you lived in your home country. You change.

Living and growing up in a diverse society has OPENED MY EYES.

A "mini-essay" written about what it is like living in a diverse society. Being Swedish and having moved out into the world, to a muslim country, changes your opinions and thoughts on things. If I still would have lived in Sweden I would never have seen places/people/things the way I see them now. This is thanks to me having grown up in a diverse society where I have been exposed to different cultures, traditions, and people.

on Sep. 22 2017 at 9:55 pm
Wiseman125 BRONZE, Granite Falls, Washington

"Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings-always darker, emptier and simpler" -Friedrich Nietzche

How does diversity increase tolerance and reduce racism? First of all, it would increase race tensions like its doing now and tolerance is not affected by diversity. If I hate Mexicans and is around Mexicans, I'm not going to change my mind, ill just have more hate for the people around me.