The Global Warming Effect on Idaho | Teen Ink

The Global Warming Effect on Idaho

May 21, 2019
By MrMcNugget246 BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
MrMcNugget246 BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine waking up on the day that’s suppose to snow and when you look outside you don’t see snow covering the roofs and the road and sidewalk. You don’t see kids building a snowman or walking with a sled. You see the sun shining through the little clouds there are in the sky. For some time now, the Earth has been experiencing global warming or climate change which has been heating up the Earth. According to Scientific American, this theory has been developed in 1896 by a Swedish man named Svante Arrhenius. It is commonly known as the greenhouse effect and happens when we add carbon dioxide in the atmosphere which then heats up the Earth. One of the most famous skiing/snowboarding mountains in Idaho is Bogus Basin and the future of this popular snow mountain is still very uncertain. The uncertainties lie in what the varied weather conditions are and how intense these changes might be.


Bogus Basin has a lot of mountain statistics that will determine whether it will still be standing in the future. The top of the mountain is 7,582 feet high and the base is 5,800 feet high. There is about 200-250 inches of snow annually and is open around 130 days. During the day there is about 2,600 acres of skiing/snowboarding land and 91 named runs. The longest run is Paradise Trails which is around 1.5 miles long. There is 3 detachable high speed quads, one triple chair lift, 3 double chair lifts, and 4 conveyor belt lifts. These statistics determine the future of this well known mountain (“Mountain”).


Eventually, if global warming continues, all snow mountains will not have any snow including Bogus Basin. According to Style Attitude, “resorts with the base level at 1200-1500 will have problems with their snow around 2025.” Slowly and slowly, the temperature is raising and it is making the weather warmer, which decreases the amount of snow. If things continue the way they are going now, sometime in the future we might not get any snow. Glaciers which are masses of ice, have shrunk by almost 40% in almost 150 years. This proves that snow and ice have been melting for a long time and will continue to melt in the future. Overall, the world’s snow is slowly getting deteriorated and shows no sign of stopping.
Idaho will eventually fall under this snow repellent spell and will be warmer. According to the Idaho State Journal that Idaho is slowly getting warmer every year. Temperatures will be normal or higher than the average temperature for Idaho. The higher the temperature, the less chance you will have of seeing snow fall out your window. The 2019 weather predictions are looking above average too. Higher temperatures and less precipitation will be the news in the summer (Evenson). In conclusion, things are not looking good for another heavy snow year.


When you look at all the data and statistics, Bogus Basin will be fine at the moment. The future, however, is certainly a mystery and has a large chance of the temperatures slowly rising, decreasing the amount of snow. It makes you wonder where the weather will be in a decade and how much variability there is in weather. Maybe snow will be non-existent in the future. Maybe snow will be thriving in the future, but right now, snow will come every winter and there will be kids with sleds, kids building a snowman, and kids having snowball fights.