The History of the Airplane | Teen Ink

The History of the Airplane

By zaneyboo21 SILVER, Conroe, Texas
zaneyboo21 SILVER, Conroe, Texas

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

The first airplane that was invented was the gas-powered airplane. During 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright invented the first airplane at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. (Davidson, et. al., p. 613) The gas-powered airplane has changed the way people travel and trade and changed the way wars are fought. It also led to the making of modern planes.

Ever since airplanes were invented, they have had many purposes. One of the airplane’s purpose was to make it traveling and trade easier. (Davidson, et. al., p. 613) Airplanes made it possible for people to travel large distances and shortened the amount of time it takes to go to one place to another. (Davidson, et. al., p. 613) Airplanes also made it possible to fight wars in the air. (Keitch, et al.The first war airplanes were used was in World War I. (Keitch, et al.)  During World War I, the airplane’s purpose was to take pictures of the enemy’s positions and bomb enemy lines. (Keitch, et al.)  

Even though the gas-powered airplane led to the making of modern planes, there are still differences between the two. One difference between the first airplane and modern airplanes is with the wings. The first airplane was double winged while modern airplanes are single winged. Another difference is the material. (“What Kinds of Materials Are Used to Make an Aircraft?”)  The first airplane was made out of wood and fabric.  (“What Kinds of Materials Are Used to Make an Aircraft?”)   Now, most modern airplanes are made out of aluminum.  (“What Kinds of Materials Are Used to Make an Aircraft?”)   

The first airplane was invented by the Wright Brothers. It made trade and traveling easier and changed how wars are fought forever. It also changed the lives of Americans and made many things possible that weren’t possible before.

This piece talks about the history of the airplane.