My Vice and Virtue | Teen Ink

My Vice and Virtue

December 3, 2018
By greatone BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
greatone BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Similar to Hester Prynne in The Scarlet Letter, we all have a vice, or flaw, and a virtue in our personalities. One virtue that I possess is being thoughtful. I will always go out of my way to help people even if they do not ask for my help. For example, last week, Mrs. Dabdoub, a biology teacher that I previously had, was carrying a large number of bowls, and she needed to carry them up to the third floor. As a result, I asked Mrs. Dabdoub if she needed my help, which she did, so I went out of my way to bring the bowls to the third floor. Besides helping people out, I am also thoughtful when my friends or anyone that I know has a birthday. This is because I make sure that I tell them Happy Birthday and either give them a gift or text and call the person. Overall, thoughtfulness is a virtue that I exhibit in my daily life to others.

 

Besides, my virtue of thoughtfulness, I am also very talkative, which is one of my vices. More specifically, I am so talkative that I annoy people. For example, during dinner time, my family and I always discuss how our days are, and my parents always have to tell me to stop talking. This is because I do not give my little brother or my parents any time to share about their days. I am also very talkative and long-winded when my parents bring me home from school. This is because I enjoy telling them all about my day in great detail, which can get frustrating for my parents due to their lack of time to respond. Finally, I am very talkative around my friends because I love telling them about the joys and sufferings in my days. Particularly, one of my best friends told me that she thought my talkative personality was a little overbearing when she first met me. As a result, it took her some time to get used to this flaw that I show. Being talkative, a flaw that I possess, annoys my friends and family members sometimes because they don’t get a word in a conversation.


The author's comments:

This is a piece discussing my vice(flaw) and virtue in my personality.