The Feelings After Reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn | Teen Ink

The Feelings After Reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

By SteveChen BRONZE, Zhangjiagang, Other
SteveChen BRONZE, Zhangjiagang, Other

In the past month, I read a book called Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The major character is Huckleberry Finn, a smart, kind, and brave white teenager. He flees to the Mississippi River for a life of freedom. Another character that goes along with him is Jim, a black slave, who had fled from his master's house to escape being sold again. Soon after they had started traveling together, they are deceived by their "king" and "Knight."

In the latter part of chapter 14, Huck and Tom discuss King Solomon's wisdom. Jim thinks Solomon was stupid when he decided to cut the baby in half during a dispute between two potential mothers. However, as I was reading this, I believed it might not be as bad as Jim thinks; King Solomon probably assumed that after cutting up the child, the real mother between the two women would be the first to cry, "My poor child!" The woman who isn't the child’s true mother would not. Thus, Solomon would be able to tell who is the liar, give her the punishment she deserves, and compensate the woman who is the mother.

From Jim’s excerpt story, I realized there are many possible answers to consider when contemplating a dilemma; there are just as many different aspects and perspectives to think about as well. A proposed solution should be one that can be supported by people. If one thinks in a rigid way, one may probably arrive at the wrong conclusion.

I think the most interesting part of the book is Huck trying to find Jim after they get lost again. Huck does not go home by himself and abandon Jim, although he can do it. So, we can see that Huck is very kind and does not hold anything against Jim’s status as a salve.