« Previous issue June 15, 2017 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

What's Happening in the Next Room?

So much of our lives fill up the rooms of houses. Especially as our lives move increasingly to the interior, I think we'll see fewer and fewer stories about the great outdoors, and more and more about offices, dens, and TV rooms. The tradition of setting stories amid the small conflicts of drawing rooms and parlors has a long tradition, going back nearly to the origins of the novel itself. If we consider The Tale of Genji or any of the novels of Austen, even grand epics like War and Peace, we can see how important the home is in novels. (Read more »)

Emerging Writers Institute by Education Unlimited

Emerging Writers Institute offers challenging workshops in fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry for both new and accomplished high school writers. Enjoy an immersive writing experience at Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Georgetown and Brown through intensive MFA-style workshops and fun literary outings. Our unique program lets young writers from around the world make literary friendships that can last a lifetime. Save $250 when you use code 17TEENINK250 and pay in full upon registration.

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

A Night Alone

Fiction

Jambo

Sports

Life on My Feet

Opinion

Celebrities and Their Influence

We Want Your Submissions!

Father's Day is right around the corner.
Have a favorite memory of you and your dad?
Capture it in a story or poem and submit it to Teen Ink.
Not only will you have the chance to be published,
you'll also have a great gift for Dad!

Submit Here

This Week's Most Popular Watercolors

Tiffany Bracelet
The Sorting Hat
"Rain"

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs