« Previous issue May 24, 2017 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

How to Workshop

It's time for me to go through some of the important rules when workshopping someone else's writing or having your own writing workshopped. It can be a very tense time for budding writers; this may be the first time they've received criticism, and this can feel like quite the shock to the system. That's why it's so important to remember our twin guiding principles of respect and sensitivity. Here a few rules of thumb to keep in mind if you've been asked to comment on someone else's work, or if you're on the chopping block yourself. (Read more »)

Emerging Writers Institute by Education Unlimited

Emerging Writers Institute offers challenging workshops in fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry for both new and accomplished high school writers. Enjoy an immersive writing experience at Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Georgetown and Brown through intensive MFA-style workshops and fun literary outings. Our unique program lets young writers from around the world make literary friendships that can last a lifetime. Save $250 when you use code 17TEENINK250 and pay in full upon registration.

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

No More Sunrises

Fiction

Lonely Man

Travel & Culture

Road Trip

Opinion

Space Exploration

We Want Your Submissions!

What does Memorial Day
mean to you?
From army families to freedom
and the future of war, we want your submissions about this holiday.

It's prom season!
How did your promposal go down?
Did you go with a friend or a crush,
or skip it all together?
Send us your essays and photos!

Submit Here

Submit Here

This Week's Most Popular Photographs

Pas de Quatre
Cat
sisters

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs