« Previous issue May 16, 2017 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

A Stranger Comes to Town

This week, I'd like to talk about one of my favorite classic plots: "a stranger comes to town." In modern storytelling, this plotline is most evident in the Western genre. In a good western, like the Clint Eastwood golden oldie A Fistful of Dollars, the plot begins when a stranger, often anonymous or with an unknown past, arrives in a small town. In the case of A Fistful of Dollars, the hero is actually called "the Man with No Name" - the mystery surrounding the character is an important part of the mood. (Read more »)

Emerging Writers Institute by Education Unlimited

Emerging Writers Institute offers challenging workshops in fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry for both new and accomplished high school writers. Enjoy an immersive writing experience at Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Georgetown and Brown through intensive MFA-style workshops and fun literary outings. Our unique program lets young writers from around the world make literary friendships that can last a lifetime. Save $250 when you use code 17TEENINK250 and pay in full upon registration.

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

The Race

Fiction

Jade Green & Jade White

Sports

An Ode to Basketball

Opinion

Does "13 Reasons Why" Glorify Suicide?

This Week's Most Popular Pen & Ink

Pheonix
Tay
nature

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs