« Previous issue April 25, 2017 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

What's Your Keystone Scene

We writers all know that not all scenes in your story are created equal. Some scenes we spend weeks preparing for; some scenes we feel afraid to write; some scenes we are wildly excited about finally, finally getting to. Those scenes are the keystone scenes. If you're familiar with your ancient and medieval architecture, you'll know the term: it refers to the center stone in an arch, the one that bears all the pressure of the arch stones and keeps the arch together. The keystone scene in your story is the one (or two, or more) that holds the story together and makes the whole piece of writing "worth it." (Read more »)

Spend Your Summer at Georgetown University

This summer, we invite you to experience the excitement of college life at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. Our Summer High School Programs offer a variety of ways for you to pursue your interests and get ahead. Live on campus, meet classmates from around the world, and earn college credit - all while exploring subjects ranging from business and medicine to journalism and leadership.
Learn More

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Personal Metaphor

Fiction

Big Blue

Sports

Paying College Athletes

Opinion

How Technology Affects Us

This Week's Most Popular Oil Paintings

SunFlower
Burning Lily
Distorted Paradise

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs