« Previous issue March 14, 2017 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Objects Tell the Story

I often talk to my creative writing students about the importance of objects in a story. Often at a moment of heightened emotion, when every gesture of a character seems fraught and weighty, the author will retreat from analysis and let the simple details tell the story. It's the way Anse struggles to straighten a wrinkle in the blanket covering his dead wife that tells us so much about their relationship in Faulkner's As I Lay Dying; it's Gatsby's beautiful shirts that he throws around like toys that tell us about his newfound wealth. The fact remains that our lives are cluttered with Stuff, and our interactions with this Stuff often speak volumes about our lives. (Read more »)

Spend Your Summer at Georgetown University

Our Summer High School Medical Programs immerse you in the fascinating world of science and medicine. Ranging in length from one to five weeks, our programs offer a glimpse into college life, where you can live on campus, meet classmates from around the world, and learn from world-renowned faculty. Explore our full list of credit and noncredit programs and start planning your summer today.

Learn More

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Strange Mornings

Fiction

Mute

Sports

What Makes a Gymnast

Opinion

Violent Gaming

This Week's Most Popular Photographs

Beauty Before Beast
Boxer Pledges Excellence
"I Will Wait For You"

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs