« Previous issue March 7, 2017 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Be a Disciplined Writer

When we're finished with a writing project, we're often tempted to break the hard writing routine and kick back for a while. We need time to decompress and push writing away for a while; we need to relax and just not think. While it's important to decompress and reward ourselves after a project, it's equally important to maintain the discipline of writing. I am only a wary believer in the sudden strike of inspiration as a source for our ideas; I am more inclined to believe that if we work hard and regularly, we'll be all the more ready when inspiration strikes. This Picasso quotation is important to my working philosophy: "When inspiration comes, I want it to find me working." (Read more »)

Emerging Writers Institute by Education Unlimited

Emerging Writers Institute offers challenging workshops in fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry for both new and accomplished high school writers. Enjoy an immersive writing experience at Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Georgetown and Brown through intensive MFA-style workshops and fun literary outings. Our unique program lets young writers from around the world make literary friendships that can last a lifetime. Save $250 when you use code 17TEENINK250 and pay in full upon registration.

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Irony

Fiction

In the Jungle

Sports

Badminton

Opinion

The Importance of Music in Schools

This Week's Most Popular Pen & Ink

Love Is A Lie
Tired
I Love You

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs