« Previous issue August 30, 2016 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Eliminate the False Starts

For me, writing has always been a process like (I imagine) pushing a vending machine over. It takes a few tries: you have to rock it back and forth a little before you get what you want. On a sentence level, I often have several false starts when I'm aiming for what I want to say. I'll have sentences like "She was sad, she was wrecked with sadness." When I look back at the sentence, I can see how uselessly baggy and repetitive it is. That's okay; that's part of the process. But the difference between okay writers and great writers is that the great writers always go back and trim out all those false starts. (Read more »)

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

If I Were in Charge of the World

Rosencrantz Speaks

Basketball is my Favorite Sport

The Modern Zoo

College Submissions Wanted

In preparation for our College Issue, we're looking for articles about the whole process. Reviews, college essays, advice articles for upcoming juniors and seniors, or reflections on watching a sibling leave for college - we will consider it all for the special issue. And while we're on the subject, wouldn't publication in a national print magazine look good on your college transcript?

This Week's Most Popular Watercolors

Alexander Skarsgar

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Hot Topics

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs