« Previous issue February 23, 2016 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Get Amazingly Specific

When I tell my students we're going to have a lesson about being specific, I sometimes get some eyerolls. We get it, they tell me. Vagueness is bad in creative writing. Vagueness is the enemy.

But this lesson really can't be stated enough. For various reasons, some of which include laziness, it's terribly tempting to be vague when we're writing a scene of description or action. (Read more »)

Subscribe to
Teen Ink!

Explore the World of Science and Medicine

It's only February, but chances are you're already thinking about summer break. This year, join us for an exciting and hands-on summer experience at Georgetown University. Our Summer High School Medical Programs give you the opportunity to live on campus, meet classmates from around the world, and explore topics like forensic science, infectious diseases, and human anatomy. Learn more and start planning your summer today.
scs.georgetown.edu

Go Ivy and Get Ahead with Penn Summer High School Programs

Get a taste of college life at an Ivy League institution in the heart of Philadelphia. Penn Summer High School Programs offer undergraduate courses for students who want to pursue a discipline in depth, get ahead on college requirements or explore a brand new field.

Our courses are taught by Penn faculty and distinguished scholars. Small class sizes and extracurricular activities give you the guidance you need for the college application process and beyond.
sas.upenn.edu

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Picture Street

Fiction

How a Mother Shows Her Love

Sports

Marching Band

Opinion

Cheating in Schools

This Week's Most Popular Computer Graphics

Kathy Beth
Take That
Bubbles, oh, and a unicorn

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs