« Previous issue October 6, 2015 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

What You're Missing

YOU'RE MISSING SOMETHING. No, you remembered a title; there's a series of sentences on the page; on the outside, your story seems to have everything it needs. But on the inside, it's sorely lacking. It's almost like you're sending a human out into the world missing a liver and a pancreas. It's not going to get far. Make sure your story isn't missing any of these absolutely crucial elements. (Read more »)

Subscribe to
Teen Ink!

John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Essay Contest for High School Students

It takes courage to stand up for your beliefs. Some elected officials risk their careers to do right by their community and country. In Profiles in Courage, John F. Kennedy described eight U.S. elected officials who demonstrated political courage. Here's your chance to write a new profile in courage. Write a 1,000 word essay on an act of political courage by a U.S. elected official who served during or after 1956. First-place winner receives $10,000. Contest deadline: January 6, 2016.

jfklibrary.org

2015 first place-winner Matthew Waltman and the subject of his essay, former mayor of Greeley, Colorado Tom Selders, at the JFK Presidential Library and Museum in Boston, Massachusetts. Click here to read the winning essay.

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Sunny Summer Hill

Fiction

Between

Sports

High School Wrestler

Opinion

Respect Teachers

This Week's Most Popular Oil Paintings

Green-eyed Boy with Blue Hat
flower fairy
Apocalyptic Dreams

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs