« Previous issue September 15, 2015 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Take On What Scares You at School

With the beginning a new semester in school, you've got a chance for a fresh start in a handful of new classes. You might have a chance to take some exciting electives at your school, like Astrophysics or Creative Writing. At the same time, you might be facing some daunting challenges, like a gymnastics unit in gym or AP Chemistry. Whatever your particular challenge in school is, take a few moments this January to figure out what it is, and why you're scared of it. (Read more »)

Subscribe to
Teen Ink!

John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Essay Contest for High School Students

It takes courage to stand up for your beliefs. Some elected officials risk their careers to do right by their community and country. In Profiles in Courage, John F. Kennedy described eight U.S. elected officials who demonstrated political courage. Here's your chance to write a new profile in courage. Write a 1,000 word essay on an act of political courage by a U.S. elected official who served during or after 1956. First-place winner receives $10,000. Contest deadline: January 6, 2016.

jfklibrary.org

2015 first place-winner Matthew Waltman and the subject of his essay, former mayor of Greeley, Colorado Tom Selders, at the JFK Presidential Library and Museum in Boston, Massachusetts. Click here to read the winning essay.

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

I Am From

Fiction

The Merchant's Girl: A Lament

Sports

Don't Call it Frisbee

Opinion

Mother's True Love

This Week's Most Popular Pastels

Decay
Koi fish
Taste the Rainbow, Embrace the Rainbow

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs