« Previous issue May 8, 2013 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

What Should Be on Stage

I'm busy in what may be the last throes (of the first draft) of my novel these days, struggling with the tough questions that I've managed to put off or dodge around until this point. Some of those questions involve the staging of a central chapter and event in my novel, when a character goes on a journey. I'm discovering that that chapter has some weaker writing; my observations are simply weaker because I'm less familiar with the terrain that my character is covering. As a writer of place, whose observations are steeped in the places I've been, it's proving a very big challenge to write about places I haven't seen. (Read more »)

Summer Program Guide

Check out Teen Ink's Summer Program Guide for the best programs around.

If you attended a program in the past few years, send Teen Ink a review and share your experiences.

Top Creative & Academic Writing Programs at Yale this Summer

Education Unlimited is running programs on the campus of Yale University this summer for two great writing programs for teens. Emerging Writers Institute is a two-week creative writing program for rising 10th-12th graders, designed to develop students' imaginative writing across literary genres. A+ Summer pre-college is an intensive pre-collegiate research program from 11th & 12th graders with an emphasis on academic writing. Pay in full by May 10 and save $350 on any Education Unlimited program at Yale with a special offer for Teen Ink readers. Use discount code TEENINK350.
http://www.educationunlimited.com

Study Art in Ireland this Summer!

Art on the Farm presents a unique opportunity to study painting, drawing and photography alongside practicing visual artists in a focused and intimate studio environment. During this three-week multidisciplinary course, young artists experience Ireland's stunning landscapes and bustling cities, engage with a new culture and work closely with experienced artists dedicated to fostering creative growth. During Art on the Farm, students may choose to complete excellent portfolio pieces for advanced placement and college applications.
http://www.cowhousestudios.com

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

All I Ask of You

Fiction

Opulence

Sports

The Spirit of Prefontaine

Opinion

Taking the Subway to a Healthy Diet

This Week's Most Popular Computer Graphics

Do you Believe?
Vegeta's Deception
A girl in love

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs