« Previous issue October 25, 2012 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

I Hate It - But I Wrote It

Do you ever get that feeling come over you while you're writing something - that sinking, nauseous feeling that what you're writing is absolute bunk? You know what I'm talking about - the feeling that makes you cringe even as you finish typing out that hackneyed sentence, the revulsion as you complete that tired and predictable scene. Sometimes, we sensitive writer types can get overcome by self-loathing as we write. It's so difficult to create fresh, sparkling work, and anything less than that seems depressing. (Read more »)

Subscribe to Teen Ink!

The perfect gift

Write for Fright

"I never make my villains glamorous," says author Dean Koontz. In this video, Koontz and suspense/mystery authors Caroline B. Cooney and Patricia Reilly Giff discuss how they "Write for Fright." Whether it's Giff's ability to get readers to turn one more page, or Cooney's self-described "twisted mind" you'll find out how these masters of suspense, horror, and mystery write their chilling stories. From Open Road Integrated Media.

Like Us on Facebook To Win Free Ebooks!

Dare to read these spooky ebooks from Open Road Media! Enter the Teen Read Week Sweepstakes for a chance to win free ebooks. Five lucky winners will receive Gift by Andrea J. Buchanan, Freeze Tag by Caroline B. Cooney, The Accident by Diane Hoh, and The Drifter by Richie Tankersley Cusick.
http://www.openroadmedia.com/

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Angela

Fiction

Perfect

Travel & Culture

My First Day of School

Book Review

The Secret Life of Bees

This Week's Most Popular Oil Paintings

Iridescent sea clouds
Antique Lamp
Flowers

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs