« Previous issue February 14, 2012 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Do We Write for Entertainment or Art?

Let me be perfectly clear: nothing's wrong with writing entertainingly; I'm all for it! But it does mean that other kinds of work have a harder time surviving. Some writing is designed to give the reader a rollicking good time; some is designed to ask tough questions, to challenge us as readers and as people, and to take us on spiritual or emotional journeys. These books are not always the easiest to read, or the best-suited for breaking into easy, bite-sized pieces. But that doesn't make the writing any less necessary. (Read more »)

Subscribe To Teen Ink!

The perfect gift

Summer Programs for High School Students at Georgetown University

The Summer Programs for High School Students at Georgetown University are designed to help you explore an array of exciting subjects. You can participate in an 8 day intensive non-credit institute or spend up to 10 weeks in undergraduate level courses while earning college credit. From medicine and law to business and the arts and more, you’ll have the chance to study what interests you while experiencing campus life. Space is limited so reserve your place today.
http://scs.georgetown.edu/

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Wishing for Amnesia

Fiction

I Should Switch to Decaf

Nonfiction

Roller Derby

Opinion

Should Teens Be Tried As Adults

This Week's Most Popular Photos

Black and white seduction
Sun Dancer
It takes courage to attempt the impossible

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs