« Previous issue November 22, 2011 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

How to Workshop

It's time for me to go through some of the important rules when workshopping someone else's writing or having your own writing workshopped. It can be a very tense time for budding writers; this may be the first time they've received criticism, and this can feel like quite the shock to the system. That's why it's so important to remember our twin guiding principles of respect and sensitivity. For those who take their work very seriously, a workshop can feel like as vulnerable a place as a group therapy session, so it's important to keep that vulnerability in mind. At the same time, everyone's time will be wasted if we hold back and don't say what we really think about the work. Here a few rules of thumb to keep in mind if you've been asked to comment on someone else's work, or if you're on the chopping block yourself. (Read more »)

Subscribe To Teen Ink!

The perfect gift

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Algebra One

Fiction

Do You Remember

Nonfiction

Edgar Allan Poe and His Use of Literary Devices

Pride & Prejudice

Dear Peers

Get Connected

You can tell all your friends about your activities on TeenInk.com by connecting your profile to Facebook. Then share links to your work and encourage your friends to vote if they like what they see. And while you’re at it, “like” Teen Ink on Facebook to see featured articles and artwork and get involved in discussions.
http://www.teenink.com

This Week's Most Popular Charcoals

Scared and so Young
Caged In
A woman's Pride

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs