« Previous issue August 2, 2011 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Writing Takes Discipline

When we're finished with a writing project, we're often tempted to break the hard writing routine and kick back for a while. We need time to decompress and push writing away for a while; we need to relax and just not think. While it's important to decompress and reward ourselves after a project, it's equally important to maintain the discipline of writing. I am only a wary believer in the sudden strike of inspiration as a source for our ideas; I am more inclined to believe that if we work hard and regularly, we'll be all the more ready when inspiration strikes. This Picasso quotation is important to my working philosophy: "When inspiration comes, I want it to find me working." (Read more »)

Subscribe To Teen Ink!

The perfect gift

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Shotgun Slumber

Fiction

Toy Soldiers

Sports

Cheerleading is a Sport

Health

Suicide and the Media

What Did You Think?

Now that the much-beloved Harry Potter series is finished both in print and onscreen, fans are looking back on their experiences growing up with Harry. Are you a fan? What did you think of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, the final film? We will feature this movie in our reviews section in September, so send in your reviews before August 15!
http://www.teenink.com/submit

This Week's Most Popular Sculptures

Be An Original - Be Yourself!
big head
Enemy Eye

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs